Simple Transformation of a Function: translation, reflection, sketch

In summary: What this means is that, when you see parentheses around an algebraic expression, like (x+4), what it means is to apply the binary operation of addition (left-to-right) to the number inside the parentheses, and then multiply that result by 1. So, in this case, (x+4) means to add 4 to the number inside the parentheses, which is x, and then multiply that result by 1. So, (x+4) would be equal to x+8.
kougou

Homework Statement

Hi all. I am having trouble to understand the combination of transformation on a function:

h(x)= a*f(b(x-c))+d

Homework Equations

The problem I am struggling with is the order of transformation; I do see that:
f(x-c) is translation in the right since every event happen before c in time;
f(bx) is the sketch if b is small <1, because it represents the same overall shape except that it has been skcetched. What I am having trouble with is the order of transformation.

Say we have a function: f(-(x+4))
I do not understand why the transformation in above form (ie, combination of transformation), we should apply reflection first, then translation. Please don't tell me because it will give me the correct graph because I already know it will; what I am interested is the underlying principle.
Teacher told us we should apply "-", then translate "+4" to the left.

I see nothing wrong in applying translation first, then reflection; but obviously that will give me a wrong graph.

Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ok. I see. This question might be too simple for all \
or you guys wouldn't even bother to explain such simple question?

kougou said:
ok. I see.

This question might be too simple for all \
or
you guys wouldn't even bother to explain such simple question?

Or maybe on a Sunday we are watching a golf tournament or something.

Here's a quote from the forum rules:

"Do not "bump" one of your threads to the top of a forum's thread list by posting a basically empty message to it, until at least 24 hours have passed since the latest post in the thread; and then do it only once per thread."

What does f(-(x+4)) tell us to do with an input value? algebraically? The brackets tell us to apply the binary operation of addition and then multiply by 1. Each algebraic operation corresponds to a transformation here. Given a number ,say 2, what does -(2+4) tell you to do ? it doesn't tell you to multiply 2 by negative 1 and then add positve 4 ( -(2+4) does not equal (-2+4) ). What does this mean in the language of transformations? Remember that we are using the language of arithmetic to represent transformations.

Related to Simple Transformation of a Function: translation, reflection, sketch

1. What is a translation of a function?

A translation of a function is when the entire graph of the function is shifted horizontally or vertically. This can be achieved by adding or subtracting a constant value to the input (x) or output (y) values of the function.

2. How do you reflect a function?

To reflect a function, you can use the reflection rules for horizontal and vertical reflections. For a horizontal reflection, negate the x values of the function. For a vertical reflection, negate the y values of the function. This will result in a mirror image of the original function across the x-axis or y-axis.

3. What is the difference between a translation and a reflection of a function?

A translation and a reflection both involve changing the position of a function, but they do so in different ways. A translation shifts the function horizontally or vertically, while a reflection flips the function across an axis. Additionally, a translation can be described using a constant value, while a reflection is described using the reflection rules.

4. How do you sketch the transformed graph of a function?

To sketch the transformed graph of a function, you can use the knowledge of how translations and reflections affect the function. Start by plotting the original function, then apply the necessary transformations using the appropriate rules. Finally, connect the transformed points to create the new graph.

5. Can a function be translated and reflected at the same time?

Yes, a function can be translated and reflected simultaneously. This would result in a transformation known as a glide reflection, where the function is first reflected and then translated in the same direction. The resulting graph will have the same shape as the original function, but will be shifted and/or flipped.