Simple work and variable position question

In summary, a one-dimensional force is acting on a particle with a given position function. The task is to find the work done by this force in the first 1.49 seconds. To solve this, we use the equations W=F*s and W=mgs, and integrate the given formula for position. After plugging in the values, the work is calculated to be -2253.8 J. However, it should be noted that the problem does not mention the force of gravity, so the solution may not be entirely accurate.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional force acts on a particle of mass m = 6.26 kg in such a way that its position is given by:

x = 0.484t^3 - 33.6t

Find W, the work done by this force during the first 1.49 s.

Homework Equations

W=F*s
W=mgs
Integration

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to know whether I'm solving this correctly because I only have one more chance to input an answer in my online homework system (as those of you who have been helping me probably know by now. :frown:

Anyhow, this is what I've done.

W=Fs
F=mg
W=mgs
**Because the position is variable but the mass and gravity are constant, we integrate the formula given, and we get:

W=mg*∫x.dx= (.121t^4) - 16.8(t^2), from 0s to 1.49s

We come to:

W=mg*(-36.7)
W=6.26*9.81*(-36.7)= (-2253.8) J

Did I do this properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem does not say that the particle is subjected to gravity. F=ma, and the acceleration is second derivative of position. Find the force from the given x(t) function.

ehild

1. What is simple work?

Simple work refers to a type of work that can be easily measured and has a constant force acting on an object. It can also be defined as work done by a force on an object that is displaced in a straight line.

2. What is variable position?

Variable position refers to the changing or varying location of an object. In physics, it is often used to describe the movement of an object as it changes its position over time.

3. How are simple work and variable position related?

Simple work and variable position are related because simple work is often used to calculate the change in an object's position. This can be seen in the equation W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents displacement (change in position).

4. What are some examples of simple work and variable position?

Examples of simple work and variable position include pushing a box across the floor, lifting a book off a table, or pulling a cart up a hill. In all of these cases, there is a constant force acting on the object and its position is changing.

5. How is simple work and variable position used in real life?

Simple work and variable position are used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and sports. Engineers use this concept to calculate the work done by machines, while architects use it to design structures that can withstand different forces. In sports, simple work and variable position are used to analyze the movements and techniques of athletes.