Simplified modeling of teledeltos paper

In summary, the assumptions made in this physics simulation are that the material is resistive and that the electric field is created by point sources.
tempneff
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand the assumptions behind the use of teledeltos paper to map electric fields
I'm writing a physics simulation to mimic the old equipotential mapping experiment like this one. I can't find much information on how the voltage across this semi-conducting sheet relates to the E-field. Before I start heading down the path sheet resistance and the resistivity of thin-film carbon, I thought I'd ask here.

What are the assumptions that I can make to represent the electrical field lines as voltages across teledeltos paper given a known source voltage and physical dimensions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe the material is best described as resistive, not semiconductive.
You can assume that perfect conductors are equipotential boundary conditions.

You must decide if you are simulating a finite rectangular sheet, with infinite external resistance, or if you are simulating an infinite virtual sheet.

Will you employ a cartesian grid or a curved orthogonal grid.
Each cell will have a voltage, current magnitude and direction, giving 2D voltage gradient.

Do you have a text that demonstrates the numerical procedure on a cartesian grid ?

Last edited:
Likes tempneff
Start here; Electromagnetics, by Kraus and Carver. See section 3.22
There is a copy here; https://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Files/Old_Radio_Frequency_Books.htm

For mapping electric fields, this book is well worth finding;
Analysis and Computation of Electric and Magnetic Field Problems. Second Edition. 1973.
By K. J. Binns and P. J. Lawrenson. Publisher; Pergamon Press.
ISBN 0-08-016638-5

Also;
Title; Electric Field Analysis. 2015.
By; Sivaji Chakravorti. Publisher; CRC Press.
ISBN-13: 978-1-4822-3337-7 (eBook - PDF)

ebooks or files.pdf can be found.

Likes tempneff
Thanks @Baluncore, that is the oldest pdf I've seen in some time! I think my initial approach was complicating an easy problem. The lab assumes that the paper is lossless and that the charge distribution matches the electric field created by the electrodes. For the Point-source case (circular electrodes; simulated map voltages, real map voltages, and a simple kq/r calculation all agree. Why? That I'm not sure of.

I should have mentioned, that this is a low fidelity simulation for university undergraduates to play with online.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. What is teledeltos paper?

Teledeltos paper is a type of paper that is used for simplified modeling in scientific experiments. It is a special type of paper that is coated with a conductive layer, making it suitable for use in electrical experiments.

2. How is teledeltos paper used in simplified modeling?

Teledeltos paper is used in simplified modeling as a way to represent complex systems or phenomena. It allows scientists to create simplified versions of their experiments or simulations, making it easier to understand and analyze the results.

3. What are the benefits of using teledeltos paper in simplified modeling?

The main benefit of using teledeltos paper in simplified modeling is its ability to represent complex systems in a simplified way. It also allows for easier visualization and analysis of results, as well as being cost-effective and easy to use.

4. Are there any limitations to using teledeltos paper in simplified modeling?

While teledeltos paper is a useful tool in simplified modeling, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately represent all aspects of a complex system, and the results may not be as precise as using more advanced modeling techniques.

5. How can I get started with using teledeltos paper in my experiments?

If you are interested in using teledeltos paper in your experiments, it is important to first understand its properties and limitations. You can then purchase teledeltos paper from scientific suppliers and follow tutorials or guides to learn how to use it effectively in your experiments.