Simplify this equation and express it as a radical

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying an expression involving radicals and factoring. The final expression is ((2x)^4 / y)^(1/3) * (x / y). The suggestion is made to break down (2x)^4 into a perfect cube and another factor to further simplify the expression.
justinepearle
I have to simplify this equation and express it as a radical at the end.
16x^7 / y^4 and cube root everything.

I've tried expressing everything as exponents but it doesn't seem to get me to where i want to go. I attempted at factoring into two radicals with one containing a perfect square, but i didn't quite know how to do it and got nothing close to something that looked right.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](\frac{16x^7}{y^4})^\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex](\frac{16x^4}{y}*\frac{x^3}{y^3})^\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

that should get you started

justinepearle said:
I've tried expressing everything as exponents but it doesn't seem to get me to where i want to go. I attempted at factoring into two radicals with one containing a perfect square, but i didn't quite know how to do it and got nothing close to something that looked right.

That's your problem right there! You should be looking for a perfect cube, right?

sorry, typo

OK, then show us what you've done. rock.freak started it for you, but there is still more work do to inside the parentheses.

I've got it down to
((2x)^4/Y)^(1/3) x (x/y)

Good. Now there's still a little more to do. Can you break [itex](2x)^4[/itex] down into a perfect cube, and another factor that is not a perfect cube?

Once you take Tom Mattson's hint you should have everything under control. I'm just going to put in my oar to point out that this is an expression, not an equation.

Related to Simplify this equation and express it as a radical

What does it mean to simplify an equation?

Simplifying an equation means to rearrange it in a more concise and easier to understand form. This is often done by combining like terms, factoring, or using properties of operations.

How do you express an equation as a radical?

To express an equation as a radical, you need to isolate the term that has a radical and rewrite it with a radical symbol. For example, if the equation is 3x = 27, you can express it as x = √27.

Why is it important to simplify equations?

Simplifying equations makes them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the equation, which can lead to a deeper understanding of the problem at hand.

What are some common techniques for simplifying equations?

Some common techniques for simplifying equations include combining like terms, factoring, using the distributive property, and canceling out common factors. The specific technique used will depend on the structure of the equation.

Can all equations be simplified and expressed as radicals?

No, not all equations can be simplified and expressed as radicals. Some equations may have complex or irrational solutions that cannot be expressed as radicals. In these cases, the equation may be simplified to a decimal or left in its original form.