Simplifying a 4-term equation using boolean algebra

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a long equation using complement and identity laws and Karnaugh maps. The equation is simplified to ~A * B * C + B* C* ~D + A * ~C * D + A * ~B *D, but the person is asking for a hint on how to further simplify two parameters. The hint is to factor out B.
TheArtOfFail
So, I have an equation:

~A * B * C * ~D + ~A * B * C * D + A * ~B * ~C * D + A * ~B * C * D + A * B * ~C * D + A * B * C * ~D

where * represents "AND" and + represents "OR", ~ being NOT.

Part of the reason I'm having trouble is due to the length of the equation.

So far, I've managed to use complement and identity laws to cancel out one pair of Cs and Ds, and ended up with this:

~A * B * C + A * ~B * D + A * B * ~C * D + A * B * C * ~D

Now, I know, through using Karnaugh maps, that the answer is this:

~A * B * C + B* C* ~D + A * ~C * D + A * ~B *D.

So, I'm close. I have two of the parameters. But I need to simplify two others.

I'm not asking for the straight answer, but can I have a hint as to what I need to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
##(aBCd + aBCD) + (AbcD + AbCD) + ABcD + ABCd##
## = aBC + AbD + ABcD + ABCd##

Hint: Factor out B.

What is boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a type of algebraic system used to manipulate binary variables and logical statements. It follows a set of rules and operations that allow for simplification and analysis of logical expressions.

What is a 4-term equation?

A 4-term equation is a logical expression that contains four variables, typically represented by letters such as A, B, C, and D. These variables can take on the values of either 0 or 1, and the equation can be simplified using boolean algebra rules.

What are the basic operations in boolean algebra?

The basic operations in boolean algebra are AND, OR, and NOT. These operations correspond to the logical operators of conjunction (represented by ·), disjunction (represented by +), and negation (represented by '). There are also additional operations such as XOR and NAND that can be derived from these basic operations.

How do you simplify a 4-term equation using boolean algebra?

To simplify a 4-term equation using boolean algebra, you can use the rules and laws of boolean algebra, such as the distributive law, commutative law, and absorption law. By applying these rules, you can manipulate and rearrange the terms of the equation until it is in its simplest form.

What are the benefits of using boolean algebra in simplifying equations?

Boolean algebra allows for a systematic and efficient way to simplify logical expressions. It can help identify redundancies and inconsistencies in a logical statement and can be used in digital logic design, computer programming, and other fields where logical reasoning is important.