Simplifying a resistor network using pi-T (Y-delta) conversion

In summary, the resistor network is reduced to a single resistor using the ∏-T conversion. The equivalent resistance is found to be approximately 0 ohms after simplifying the circuit using parallel and series combinations.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Reduce the resistor network to a single resistor. Go step-by-step and indicate the series or parallel combinations being reduced.

pi-t%2520conversion.jpg

Homework Equations

For series resistors: [itex]R_T=R_1+R_2+R_3+\cdot \cdot \cdot +R_N[/itex]
For parallel resistors: [itex]R_T=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3}+\cdot \cdot \cdot +\frac{1}{R_N}}[/itex]

∏-T Conversion:
[tex]R_1=\frac{R_BR_C}{R_A+R_B+R_C}[/tex]
[tex]R_2=\frac{R_AR_C}{R_A+R_B+R_C}[/tex]
[tex]R_3=\frac{R_AR_B}{R_A+R_B+R_C}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I noticed is that RA, RB, and RC are not in series and they're not in parallel. This led me to the ∏-T (Y-Δ) conversion. After the conversion, I was able to make further simplifications in steps (2) and (3).

In step (4), I get stuck because I don't know how to simplify the circuit given the way R5 is hooked up. Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
My thinking, assuming I drew everything correctly, is that R5 gets bypassed because a practically resistance-free path exists (the wire on the left-leg of the triangle above R5).

Therefore the equivalent resistance would be:

Req=R3+R2||(R1+R4) = 10.57Ω + 58.92Ω ≈ 69.5Ω

Does this make sense?

Yes. You can also think of the wire as a 0-ohm resistor and use the parallel resistor formula.

I guess cable across Rc and R4
So mark all the points as zero voltage.
Now we have a parallel circuit of
1. Ra-150Ω
2. Series of Rb and parallel resistors of Rc and R4-129Ω

Equivalent resistance=69.35Ω

Last edited:
lewando said:
...you can also think of the wire as a 0-ohm resistor and use the parallel resistor formula.

This makes sense.

So, [itex]R_T=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\sim 0 \Omega }+\frac{1}{220\Omega }}\approx 0 \Omega [/itex]

Thanks lewando.

Likes Mateo Zuluaga

Related to Simplifying a resistor network using pi-T (Y-delta) conversion

1. How do I know when to use pi-T (Y-delta) conversion for simplifying a resistor network?

The pi-T (Y-delta) conversion method is used when the resistor network contains three or more resistors connected in a delta (Δ) or Y configuration. This method allows for a simpler and more organized representation of the network, making it easier to calculate the equivalent resistance.

2. What is the process for simplifying a resistor network using pi-T (Y-delta) conversion?

The first step is to identify the three resistors that form a delta or Y configuration. Then, using the conversion equations, calculate the equivalent resistances for both the delta and Y configurations. Finally, replace the original delta or Y configuration with the calculated equivalent resistances.

3. Can pi-T (Y-delta) conversion be used for both series and parallel resistor networks?

Yes, pi-T (Y-delta) conversion can be used for both series and parallel resistor networks. It is a versatile method that can be applied to any type of network that contains three or more resistors connected in a delta or Y configuration.

4. Is pi-T (Y-delta) conversion the most efficient method for simplifying a resistor network?

It depends on the specific network and the desired outcome. Pi-T (Y-delta) conversion is useful for simplifying networks with three or more resistors in a delta or Y configuration, but there may be other methods that are more efficient for different types of networks.

5. What are the benefits of using pi-T (Y-delta) conversion for simplifying a resistor network?

Pi-T (Y-delta) conversion allows for a simpler and more organized representation of the network, making it easier to calculate the equivalent resistance. It also helps to save time and effort by reducing the number of calculations needed to determine the equivalent resistance. Additionally, this method can be used for both series and parallel resistor networks, making it a versatile tool for simplifying various types of networks.