Simplifying a series / parallel circuit and calculating unknown values

In summary, the connector in the middle was confusing because it doesn't show up in the original circuit. Without it, it would be much simpler, and the voltages are the same at that point.
jimmystevens123
Homework Statement
I'm struggling with interpreting the circuit correctly, and checking my work afterwards yields confusing results.
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff's Current Law
Ohms Law
Circuit1.jpg

Given the circuit above, I have to solve for the labelled currents, find V total and R total accordingly. 1A is flowing through the 5Ω resistor as shown. Assuming electron flow (negative terminal to positive) for circuit.

The connector in the middle was somewhat confusing. Without it, this would be much simpler. At any rate, I redrew the circuit (perhaps incorrectly) as follows:

Circuit1_Redrawn.jpg
If I have a 1A going through one identical parallel resistor, I must have 1A going through the other.

Adding the equivalent parallel resistor values, I get 4.5 + 2.5 = 7Ω.

2A across 2.5Ω = 5V dropped.
2A across 4.5Ω = 9V dropped.

R total = 7Ω
I total= 2A
V total = 14V

Using Kirchoffs Current Law - (i2 = It * R1 / R1+R2) 2A * 6/6+18 = 0.5A?
i1 = 2A * 18/6+18 = 1.5A?

I feel like the redraw was a mistake, because without that junction, the values don't make any sense in the original circuit.
Circuit1_redrawn2.jpg
My question is, how do I interpret this circuit correctly? How do I know if any current is going to flow through the middle connector, and if so, how much? It's not intuitive to me at all. Apologies for the length.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing to think about the tie connection in the middle - the voltage is the same at that point.

If it is an ideal conductor (0 ohms) then regardless of the amount of current through it, there is zero voltage drop. This makes the two bottom resistors in parallel, and the two top ones in parallel.

The way you redrew it is electrically the same as the original drawing.

Your calculations look correct - I would add some parentheses to make it a little more clear.

So if 1.5 A flows through R1, and 0.5 A flows through R2, and you have the currents in the bottom two resistors, how much flows through the tie connector?

Last edited:
My 2¢ is simply that you are over thinking it. Remember that no matter what, the top two resistors are in parallel. Of course it's the same case for the bottom two. If you are given a current through one resistor you know the voltage across it. It may help you to redraw with the top and bottom each having one equivalent resistor. You may find you go back and forth between the two schematics to help in solving.

Thanks very much for your replies gentleman, I can see now where I was confused.

1. How do I simplify a series/parallel circuit?

To simplify a series/parallel circuit, you need to identify the components that are connected in series and those that are connected in parallel. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the total resistance, current, and voltage for each section of the circuit. Finally, combine the simplified sections to find the overall values for the circuit.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, creating multiple paths for the current to flow. This results in different calculations for total resistance, current, and voltage in each type of circuit.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance of a series/parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a series circuit, simply add up the individual resistances. For a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. This law is used in circuit analysis to ensure that the calculations for voltage are accurate and to check for any errors in the circuit setup.

5. How do I calculate the unknown values in a series/parallel circuit?

To calculate unknown values in a series/parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's law (V = IR) and the formulas for total resistance (Rt = R1 + R2 + ...) and total current (It = I1 + I2 + ...). You can also use Kirchhoff's laws and the equations for power (P = IV) and energy (E = Pt) to solve for unknown values.