Simplifying a square root in a fraction, part of midpoint formula

In summary, the two data values ($x$, $y$), which lie on the same horizontal or vertical line, have a median of $x=\sqrt{2}$.
OMGMathPLS
I have:

sq rt 2 +sq rt 2 over 2 , sq rt 5 + sq rt 5 over 2

I got (sq rt 4 over 2, and 0) = 1, 0

but the answer is actually (sq rt 2, 0)

so is my answer still wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, you cannot state:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{a+b}\)

This is not true in general.

But, this kind of mistake is so common, it is referred to as the "Freshman's Dream."

What you want to do is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{2}}{2}=\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{2}=\sqrt{2}\)

Think about it...you are finding the arithmetic mean, or average, of two numbers that happen to have the same value...wouldn't you then expect the average to be the same as the two identical values?

no, it doesn't really make sense because you guys said that it can be broken apart... so it can't be combined?

You said that sq rt 12 can become sq rt 3 + sq rt 4

something similar to that. That's probably wrong, but I'm referring to an earlier question i asked. So it just seems natural you can combine them. sorry I can't see through beyond dream but thanks for explaining it.

OMGMathPLS said:
no, it doesn't really make sense because you guys said that it can be broken apart... so it can't be combined?

You said that sq rt 12 can become sq rt 3 + sq rt 4

something similar to that. That's probably wrong, but I'm referring to an earlier question i asked. So it just seems natural you can combine them. sorry I can't see through beyond dream but thanks for explaining it.

What you can do is:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{12}=\sqrt{4\cdot3}=\sqrt{4}\cdot\sqrt{3}=2\sqrt{3}\)

But, you cannot do this with addition. This has to do with rules of exponents (since a square root is a rational exponent).

It is true that:

\(\displaystyle (ab)^c=a^cb^c\)

But it is not true that:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)^c=a^c+b^c\)

This is the "Freshman's Dream" in its most common form. :D

Ok that makes sense. I can only be done with mult and division but not sub and add.

Because a term is only addition but a factor is like multiplication. And more can be done with that.

I wanted to reiterate my point earlier about the mean of two identical values being the same as the two values. Suppose there are two people and both weigh 150 lb. Wouldn't you then expect the average weight of the two people to be 150 lb.?

Suppose our two data values are $x$. Then the mean is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{x}=\frac{x+x}{2}=\frac{2x}{2}=x\)

So, this corresponds to the fact that if we are given two points in the $xy$-plane and both points are on the same horizontal or vertical line, then the mid-point will also be on this line. Does this make sense intuitively?

You make sense. I am just new at this.

I don't know why the sq rt had to stay.

OMGMathPLS said:
You make sense. I am just new at this.

I don't know why the sq rt had to stay.

Both points lie along the line $x=\sqrt{2}$, and so the $x$-coordinate of the mid-point must lie along this line also, and so the $x$-coordinate of the mid-point has to be $\sqrt{2}$. :D

MarkFL said:
Both points lie along the line $x=\sqrt{2}$, and so the $x$-coordinate of the mid-point must lie along this line also, and so the $x$-coordinate of the mid-point has to be $\sqrt{2}$. :D

because it's already in that form
keep it that way

Related to Simplifying a square root in a fraction, part of midpoint formula

1. How do I simplify a square root in a fraction?

The first step in simplifying a square root in a fraction is to determine if the number inside the square root can be broken down into smaller perfect square numbers. If it can, then you can simplify the square root by taking the square root of those smaller numbers and moving them outside of the square root. For example, if you have √36 in the numerator, you can simplify it to 6.

2. Can I simplify a square root in a fraction if there are variables present?

Yes, you can still simplify a square root in a fraction if there are variables present. The same rules apply - if the variables can be broken down into smaller perfect square numbers, then you can simplify the square root by taking the square root of those numbers and moving them outside of the square root.

3. What is the midpoint formula?

The midpoint formula is a formula used in geometry to find the coordinates of the midpoint of a line segment. It is (x1 + x2)/2 for the x-coordinate and (y1 + y2)/2 for the y-coordinate, where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the endpoints of the line segment.

4. How do I use the midpoint formula in conjunction with simplifying a square root in a fraction?

The midpoint formula can be used to find the coordinates of the midpoint of a line segment, and these coordinates can then be used to simplify a square root in a fraction. For example, if the coordinates of the endpoints are (2, 6) and (8, 12), the midpoint would be (5, 9) and the square root in the fraction could be simplified to √18, which is the same as 3√2.

5. Can I simplify a square root in a fraction if the fraction is part of a larger equation?

Yes, you can simplify a square root in a fraction even if it is part of a larger equation. The same rules apply - if the number inside the square root can be broken down into smaller perfect square numbers, then you can simplify the square root and continue solving the equation.