Simplifying an expression given (on-shell & off-shell) conditions

In summary, the conversation was about computing an unpolarized cross-section in Quantum Field Theory using the book "QFT Mandl & Shaw, second edition". The provided expression for the cross-section is a sum of terms involving four-vectors and other constants. The conversation was focused on simplifying one particular term, but there was confusion due to the lack of clear notation for scalar products. The correct notation is to use a dot symbol for scalar products, and to enclose contracted four-vectors in parentheses. With this notation, the term in question was correctly simplified to obtain the desired solution.
JD_PM
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand how to get Eq. 8.71a in Mandl & Shaw
I was studying how to compute an unpolarized cross-section (QFT Mandl & Shaw, second edition,https://ia800108.us.archive.org/32/items/FranzMandlGrahamShawQuantumFieldTheoryWiley2010/Franz%20Mandl%2C%20Graham%20Shaw-Quantum%20Field%20Theory-Wiley%20%282010%29.pdf) and came across the following expression

$$Z:=16 \{ 2(f_1p)(f_1p') -f_1^2(pp')+m^2[-4(pf_1)+4f_1^2]+m^2 [(pp')-4(f_1 p')] +4m^4 \} \tag 1$$

Where:

$$f_1:=p+k \tag 2$$

We're also given the on-shell and off-shell conditions:

$$p^2 = p'^2=m^2, \ k^2=k'^2=0, \ pk=p'k', \ pk'=p'k \tag 3$$

Plugging ##(2)## into ##(1)## I get (I include all steps so that we can find the mistake)

$$Z=16\{2(p+k)p(p+k)p'-(p+k)^2(pp')+m^2[-4p(p+k)+4(p+k)^2]+m^2[(pp')-4(p+k)p']+4m^4\} \tag 4$$

Expanding out ##(4)## I get

$$Z=16\{ 2p^3p'+2kpkp'+2p^2kp'+2kp^2p'-p^3p'-2pkpp'-k^2pp'-4m^2p^2-4m^2pk+4m^2p^2+8m^2pk+4m^2k^2+m^2pp'-4m^2pp'-4m^2kp'+4m^4\} \tag 5$$

Now it is about simplifying ##(5)##. I'll go step by step.

I first used ##k^2=k'^2=0##, ##p^2 = p'^2=m^2## conditions to get

$$Z=16\{ 2p^3p'+2kpkp'+2p^2kp'+2kp^2p'-p^3p'-2pkpp'-4m^2pk+8m^2pk+m^2pp'-4m^2pp'-4m^2kp'+4m^4\} \tag 6$$

Then I simplified ##Xm^2kp'##, ##Ym^2pp'## terms and got

$$Z=16\{ +4m^2(pk) -2m^2pp'+4m^4+2kpkp'-2pkpp'\} \tag 6$$

Mmm but this is not the provided solution

$$Z=32\{m^4+m^2(pk)+(pk)(pk')\}$$

At least I got ##m^4## and ##m^2(pk)## right but I got the extra term ##-2m^2pp'## and did not get ##(pk)(pk')##. Actually, if the term ##-p^3p'## in ##(5)## were to be positive, ##Xm^2kp'## would cancel out but it is not the case.

Where did I get wrong then?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

PS: I asked it https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/3702158/simplifying-an-expression-given-certain-on-shell-off-shell-conditions but got no answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the time to go through all of this, but note that it is very confusing (possibly also to yourself) that you do not make clear which vectors are multiplied in a scalar product and which scalar products are then just multiplied as numbers. For example, your fourth term in (4), ##kp^2p^\prime##, if I identified it correctly, should read ##(k\cdot p)(p\cdot p^\prime)##, which is not equal to ##k(p^2)p^\prime = m^2 (k\cdot p^\prime)##. I suggest to go through the calculation again making sure to mark scalar product between vectors and products between numbers separately.

Likes JD_PM and nrqed
Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
I don't have the time to go through all of this, but note that it is very confusing (possibly also to yourself) that you do not make clear which vectors are multiplied in a scalar product and which scalar products are then just multiplied as numbers. For example, your fourth term in (4), ##kp^2p^\prime##, if I identified it correctly, should read ##(k\cdot p)(p\cdot p^\prime)##, which is not equal to ##k(p^2)p^\prime = m^2 (k\cdot p^\prime)##. I suggest to go through the calculation again making sure to mark scalar product between vectors and products between numbers separately.
Dr AbeNikIanEdl is absolutely right. I had the same reaction when reading your post. One must indicate which four-vectors are contracted and the most used convention is to use a dot symbol. Otherwise something like ##pkpk'## is ambiguous. But I notice that Mandl and Shaw do not use a dot, which is probably why you started writing things this way. However, note that Mandl and Shaw still indicate clearly what four vectors are contracted, although it might be easy to miss. Note that whenever two four-vectors are contracted, they are placed inside a parenthesis. For example they might write ##(pk)(pk')##. So they still show clearly which ones are contracted, but the dot notation is more widely used now.

• Informative
Likes JD_PM
nrqed said:
Dr AbeNikIanEdl is absolutely right. I had the same reaction when reading your post. One must indicate which four-vectors are contracted and the most used convention is to use a dot symbol. Otherwise something like ##pkpk'## is ambiguous. But I notice that Mandl and Shaw do not use a dot, which is probably why you started writing things this way. However, note that Mandl and Shaw still indicate clearly what four vectors are contracted, although it might be easy to miss. Note that whenever two four-vectors are contracted, they are placed inside a parenthesis. For example they might write ##(pk)(pk')##. So they still show clearly which ones are contracted, but the dot notation is more widely used now.

Oh I did not know that the dot notation was more widely used, thanks for informing.

So let's go step by step

Using the dot notation on ##(1)## we get

$$Z:=16 \{ 2(f_1 \cdot p)(f_1 \cdot p') -(f_1 \cdot f_1)(p \cdot p')+m^2[-4(p \cdot f_1)+4(f_1 \cdot f_1)]+m^2 [(p \cdot p')-4(f_1 \cdot p')] +4m^4 \} \tag 1$$

Now let's work out the term ##(f_1 \cdot p)(f_1 \cdot p')## as an example; I get

$$(f_1 \cdot p)(f_1 \cdot p')=\Big((p+k)\cdot p\Big)\Big((p+k)\cdot p'\Big)=\Big(m^2+p\cdot k\Big)\Big(p\cdot p' + p'\cdot k\Big)$$ $$=m^2(p\cdot p')+(p\cdot k)(p'\cdot k)+m^2(p'\cdot k)+(p\cdot k)(p\cdot p')$$

Is this the way to go then?

Looks good to me now.

Likes JD_PM

1. What does it mean to simplify an expression given on-shell and off-shell conditions?

Simplifying an expression given on-shell and off-shell conditions means to manipulate the expression in order to make it more concise and easier to evaluate, while also taking into account any constraints or restrictions on the variables in the expression. On-shell conditions refer to the values of the variables that satisfy the equations or constraints, while off-shell conditions refer to values that do not satisfy the equations or constraints.

2. What are some common techniques for simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions?

Some common techniques for simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions include substitution, factoring, using algebraic identities, and simplifying fractions. It is also important to carefully apply any relevant equations or constraints to the expression.

3. How can I determine which on-shell and off-shell conditions to use when simplifying an expression?

The on-shell and off-shell conditions to use when simplifying an expression will depend on the specific problem or context. It is important to carefully read and understand the given conditions and equations, and to consider which values of the variables will lead to a simpler expression.

4. Can simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions change the solution to the problem?

Yes, simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions can change the solution to the problem. This is because by manipulating the expression, we are potentially altering the values of the variables that satisfy the equations or constraints. It is important to carefully check the validity of the simplified expression and ensure that it still satisfies all necessary conditions.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions efficiently?

One tip for simplifying an expression with on-shell and off-shell conditions efficiently is to carefully plan out the steps of the simplification process before starting. This can help to avoid unnecessary steps and ensure that all relevant equations and constraints are taken into account. It is also helpful to double check the simplified expression and make sure it is equivalent to the original expression before moving on to the next step.