Simplifying Complex Calculation

In summary: PolarForm_1000.gifIn summary, the conversation involves calculating the complex number (-2/3 + 2/3i) to the power of -4 and simplifying the answer in the form a + ib. The modulus is found to be (2*sqrt(2))/3 and the argument is determined to be pi - 1 using a sketch in the complex plane. The De Moivre's formula is then used to find the cartesian form of the complex number.
jboyd536
Calculate

( minus ( 2 over 3 ) + ( 2 over 3 ) i ) to the power minus 4,

simplifing your answer and giving it in the form a + i b, with a and b given exactly.I found the modulus by:
sqrt((-2/3)^2 + (2/3)^2)
= (2*sqrt(2))/3

the argument is:
pi - 1 (from a sketch in the complex plane)

hence:
-2/3 + 2/3i = (2*sqrt(2)/3)*(cos(pi-1)+isin(pi-1))

using de moivres formula:
(-2/3 + 2/3i)^4 = (2*sqrt(2)/3)^4*(cos(4(pi-1))+isin(4(pi-1)))

but what next? I know I need to convert to cartesian form but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
jboyd536 said:
Calculate

simplifing your answer and giving it in the form a + i b, with a and b given exactly.I found the modulus by:
sqrt((-2/3)^2 + (2/3)^2)
= (2*sqrt(2))/3

the argument is:

hence:

How do you write ##r e^{i \theta} = r \cos(\theta) + i r \sin(\theta)## in the form ##x + iy##?

jboyd536 said:
Calculate

sqrt((-2/3)^2 + (2/3)^2)
= (2*sqrt(2))/3
This looks OK.
the argument is:

How did you determine this? Show your sketch, if necessary.

hence:

Here is a nifty graphic:

alg2-nb35-15.jpg

1. What is "simplifying complex calculation"?

Simplifying complex calculation is the process of breaking down a complicated mathematical problem into more manageable and easier to solve steps. It involves using various techniques and strategies to reduce the complexity of a calculation, making it easier to understand and solve.

2. Why is it important to simplify complex calculations?

Simplifying complex calculations is important because it allows for a better understanding of the problem at hand. By breaking down a complicated calculation into smaller and more manageable steps, it becomes easier to identify any errors and find the correct solution. It also saves time and effort, making it a more efficient way of solving complex problems.

3. What are some techniques for simplifying complex calculations?

Some techniques for simplifying complex calculations include using the order of operations (PEMDAS), breaking down larger numbers into smaller ones, using estimation or rounding, and identifying and canceling out common factors. Additionally, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs can also help in simplifying complex calculations.

4. How can simplifying complex calculations benefit scientific research?

Simplifying complex calculations benefits scientific research in a number of ways. It allows for a more accurate understanding of data and results, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions. It also saves time and resources, allowing researchers to focus on other aspects of their work. Furthermore, simplifying complex calculations can lead to new insights and discoveries by identifying patterns and relationships in data.

5. Are there any drawbacks to simplifying complex calculations?

While simplifying complex calculations can be helpful, it is important to note that it may not always be appropriate or necessary. Sometimes, simplifying a calculation too much can lead to a loss of accuracy or important details. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and determine the level of simplification needed. Additionally, some calculations may be too complex to be simplified, and in those cases, it is best to seek assistance from a professional or use advanced mathematical software.