Simplifying the Chain Rule for Partial Derivatives in PDEs

In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the equation for d^2 z/dr^2 + (1/r)(dz/dr) + (1/r^2)(d^2 z/dv^2) is equal to d^2 z/dx^2 + d^2 z/dy^2. The conversation also mentions using the chain rule and differentiating with respect to r. The speaker asks for clarification on how to get to the final result, and the other person explains that since z is a function of x and y, the derivative of z with respect to x or y is another function of x and y. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing understanding and planning to practice with other examples.
x-is-y
If [tex]z = f(x,y)[/tex] and [tex]x = r \cos{v}[/tex], [tex] y = r\sin{v}[/tex] the object is to show that [tex] d = \partial [/tex] since it's easier to do on computer

Show that:
[tex] \frac{d^2 z}{dr^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{dz}{dr} + \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d^2 z}{dv^2} = \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 z}{dy^2} [/tex]

It's from Adams calculus, will show where I get lost.

We have from the chain rule
[tex] \frac{dz}{dr} = \frac{dz}{dx} \frac{dx}{dr} + \frac{dz}{dy} \frac{dy}{dr} [/tex]

But [tex] \frac{dx}{dr} = \cos{v} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{dy}{dr} = \sin{v} [/tex], so gives:

[tex] \frac{dz}{dr} = \frac{dz}{dx} \cos{v} + \frac{dz}{dy} \sin{v} [/tex]

Now we need [tex] \frac{d^2 z}{dr^2} [/tex], where I end up in trouble. We have

[tex] \frac{d^2 z}{dr^2} = \frac{d}{dr} \cos{v} \frac{dz}{dx} + \frac{d}{dr} \sin{v} \frac{dz}{dy} [/tex] which can be written as

[tex] \frac{d^2 z}{dr^2} = \cos{v} \frac{d}{dr} \frac{dz}{dx} + \sin{v} \frac{d}{dr} \frac{dz}{dy} [/tex]

Now my books says that

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \frac{dz}{dx} = \cos{v} \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \sin{v} \frac{d^2 z}{dy dx} [/tex] if I understand correct. But I don't see how you get to this ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since z is a function of (x,y), the derivative of z in respect to x (or y), is another function of (x,y). Therefore the operator d/dr acts on the derivative of z the same way it acts on z.

Look at this:
[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(z)=\frac{dx}{dr}\frac{d}{dx}(z)+\frac{dy}{dr}\frac{d}{dy}(z)=[/tex]

Substitude z by dz/dx and you get the final result which you have written.

elibj123 said:
Substitude z by dz/dx and you get the final result which you have written.

Thank you very much, the equation for d^2 z/dv^2 got even messier. But I think I understand, I solved it and I'm going to try other examples on this.

Related to Simplifying the Chain Rule for Partial Derivatives in PDEs

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical principle that describes how to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the inner function and the derivative of the outer function.

How is the chain rule used in transforming PDEs?

In the context of partial differential equations (PDEs), the chain rule is used to transform a PDE from one coordinate system to another. This allows for the simplification of the PDE and makes it easier to solve.

Can the chain rule be applied to all types of PDEs?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to all types of PDEs, including linear, nonlinear, and time-dependent PDEs. It is a fundamental tool in solving PDEs and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

What are some common mistakes made when applying the chain rule to PDEs?

One common mistake is not taking into account the chain rule when transforming the PDE. This can result in incorrect solutions or difficulty in solving the PDE. It is important to carefully apply the chain rule in order to accurately transform the PDE.

Are there any tips for effectively using the chain rule in solving PDEs?

One tip is to break down the PDE into simpler parts and apply the chain rule to each part separately. It is also helpful to carefully keep track of the variables and their derivatives when using the chain rule. Additionally, it is important to practice and familiarize oneself with the chain rule and its application in PDEs.