Simplifying the Limit: $\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{1 + \sin^2 x}}{x^2}$

In summary, the conversation was about finding the value of a limit and the attempts made by the person to simplify it. The answer turned out to be 1/2, but the person was unsure of how to get to that answer. They tried using double angle formulas and the conjugate, but were unsuccessful. Another person suggested using L'Hopital's rule, but it was not allowed for the test and it did not give the correct answer. Eventually, it was determined that the limit was -1 and it could be simplified using cosine and sine approximations. The person then asked if there were limits that could not be simplified using L'Hopital's rule and how to determine that.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

Find the value of [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{cosx - \sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 1/2, but I don't know how they got that. I've tried using double angle formulas and multiplying by the conjugate but I get nowhere. How should I attempt to simplify this limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the limit is 1/2.

Are you allowed to use L'Hopital's rule?

kru_ said:
I don't think the limit is 1/2.

Are you allowed to use L'Hopital's rule?

It's a past test question and for this test it wasn't allowed to be used, but even then, L'hopital's rule doesn't give 1/2 which is the answer on answer sheet.

-Dragoon- said:

Homework Statement

Find the value of [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{cosx - \sqrt{1 + sin^{2}x}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 1/2, but I don't know how they got that. I've tried using double angle formulas and multiplying by the conjugate but I get nowhere. How should I attempt to simplify this limit?
That limit is -1 .

To do it without L'Hôpital's rule, multiply the numerator & denominator by [itex]\displaystyle \cos(x) + \sqrt{1 + \sin^{2}(x)}[/itex]

The numerator then becomes -2sin2(x)

Or alternatively employ cos x ~ (1 - 0.5x^2) and sin x ~ x, and Binomial theorem to the first order on the numerator.

The answer threw me off, but I used the same method you did Sammy.

Just one last question: Are there limits that would be in indeterminate form but cannot be simplified by using L'hopital's rule? If yes, could you give an example and how would one proceed to determine whether L'hopital's rule works for a simplifying a certain limit or not?

Related to Simplifying the Limit: $\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{1 + \sin^2 x}}{x^2}$

1. What is the purpose of simplifying this limit?

The purpose of simplifying this limit is to find the value of the limit as x approaches 0. By simplifying the expression, we can determine the behavior of the function as it approaches the limit point.

2. How do you simplify this limit?

To simplify this limit, we can use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression. This may involve factoring, expanding, or using the Pythagorean identity to simplify the terms in the numerator and denominator.

3. What is the limit of this expression as x approaches 0?

The limit of this expression as x approaches 0 is 0. This can be found by factoring out a common factor of x from the numerator and simplifying the expression. We can also use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit.

4. Why is it important to understand the limit of this expression?

Understanding the limit of this expression is important because it can help us determine the behavior of the function at the limit point. This can be useful in solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and other applications of calculus.

5. Can this limit be evaluated without simplifying the expression?

Yes, this limit can be evaluated without simplifying the expression by using L'Hopital's rule. However, simplifying the expression can often make the evaluation process easier and give us a better understanding of the behavior of the function at the limit point.