Simplifying the Natural Convection Heat Transfer Correlation

In summary: Wm^(-2) K^(-1)In summary, the appropriate correlation for heat transfer by natural convection from a horizontal pipe to the atmosphere can be simplified to h ≈1.34((T_s-T_f)/d)^0.25 Wm^(-2) K^(-1) when air has the given values for α, p, C_p, k, and μ.
Tiberious

Homework Statement

An appropriate correlation for heat transfer by natural convection from a horizontal pipe to the atmosphere is Nu=0.53Gr^0.25 Pr^0.25

Where,

Gr= (αp^2 d^3 (T_1-T_f )g)/μ^2

And

Pr⁡〖= (C_p μ)/k〗

Show the above correlation can be simplified to

h ≈1.34((T_s-T_f)/d)^0.25 Wm^(-2) K^(-1)

When air has the values listed below

α=3.077∙10^(-3 ) K^(-1)
p=1.086 kg m^(-3)
C_p=1.0063 kj kg^(-1) K^(-1)
k=2.816∙10^(-5) kWm^(-1) K^(-1)
μ=1.962∙10^(-5) kg m^(-1) s^(-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Inputting the Grashof and Prandtl number equations:

Nu=0.53〖(αp^2 d^3 (T_1-T_f )g)/μ^2 〗^0.25 〖(C_p μ)/k〗^0.25

As,

N_u= hd/k

Replacing this into our equation,

hd/k=0.53〖(αp^2 d^3 (T_1-T_f )g)/μ^2 〗^0.25 〖(C_p μ)/k〗^0.25
Rearranging,

h=k/d 0.53〖(αp^2 d^3 (T_1-T_f )g)/μ^2 〗^0.25 〖(C_p μ)/k〗^0.25

Distributing through the exponents,

Struggling to figure this one out. Any assistance is appreciated.

I know I have to Distribute though the terms. Just a little unsure in what order to carry our the operations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiberious said:
Just a little unsure in what order to carry our the operations
Shouldn't matter ! So, please continue!

Likes Tiberious
Thank-you for your hasty reply.

So, do I multiply each term by the power of 0.25. Apologies, I've been staring at this for ages and am at a loss.

You have ##\Delta T^{0.25}## already. ##(d^3)^{0.25}## and ## 1/d ## give you the expected power of ##d##. The remainder is numerical.

Does this seem correct as the next stage ? Or, do we multiply each term ?

h= (2.816∙10^(-5))/d 0.53〖(〖3.077∙10^(-3 )∙1.086〗^2 d^3 (T_s-T_f )9.81)/〖1.962∙10^(-5)〗^2 〗^0.25 〖(1.0063∙1.962∙10^(-5))/(2.816∙10^(-5) )〗^0.25

Try it and see where it takes you;
the end of the tunnel is that you want to end up at 1.34

Okay - I've found my way to the below. Now I'm stuck.

0.0044h= (2.816∙10^(-5))/d 0.53((0.2355)∙(1.042) d^0.75 (T_s-T_f )^0.25 1.7698)(0.915)

What is the problem ?
Lump all the numbers in one and I do hope you know what ##d^{0.75}/d## is ?

BvU - Thanks.

I got to the below eventually..

h=1.34 (T_s-T_f )^0.25/d^0.25

From this we can derive that,

h ≈1.34((T_s-T_f)/d)^0.25

1. What is natural convection heat transfer?

Natural convection heat transfer is a process in which heat is transferred through a fluid (such as air or water) due to the natural movement of the fluid caused by temperature differences. This movement, known as convection, occurs when warmer fluids rise and cooler fluids sink, creating a cycle of heat transfer.

2. Why is it important to simplify the natural convection heat transfer correlation?

Simplifying the natural convection heat transfer correlation allows scientists and engineers to predict and analyze heat transfer in a more efficient and accurate manner. This simplification reduces the complexity of the equations and makes it easier to apply the correlation to various systems and scenarios.

3. How is the natural convection heat transfer correlation simplified?

The natural convection heat transfer correlation is simplified by reducing the number of variables and assumptions used in the equations. This can include assuming a constant temperature difference, neglecting certain fluid properties, or simplifying the geometry of the system.

4. What are the limitations of the simplified natural convection heat transfer correlation?

The simplified natural convection heat transfer correlation may not accurately predict heat transfer in all scenarios. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions made in the simplification process and apply the correlation within its applicable range. In complex systems, more advanced correlations or experimental data may be needed for accurate predictions.

5. How is the accuracy of the simplified natural convection heat transfer correlation evaluated?

The accuracy of the simplified natural convection heat transfer correlation can be evaluated by comparing its predictions to experimental data or more advanced correlations. Additionally, sensitivity analysis can be performed to determine the effect of different variables on the correlation's accuracy. It is important to validate the correlation for the specific system and conditions in which it will be applied.