Simplifying to a Geometric Series

In summary: Looks like 1/480 should be 1/384 instead, and 1/5760 be 1/3840.In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation via power series and finding the recurrence relation and using initial conditions to simplify the series into a geometric series. The discussion also includes finding the pattern for the terms of the series and using induction to prove it. The conversation also mentions using Sloan's Sequences to help with calculations and provides an example of finding the expression for (2k+2)! in terms of (2k)! to aid in solving the problem.
xago

Homework Statement

I have a question with asks to solve a differential equation via power series and I've done everything up to finding the recurrence relation which is a[itex]_{n+2} = -[/itex][itex]\frac{a_{n}}{n+2}[/itex]
Given the initial conditions a[itex]_{o}[/itex] = 1 and a[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 0 I'm trying to simplify the series into a geometric series. The series is 1,-1/2, 1/8, -1/48, 1/480, -1/5760 etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've gotten (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex] in the numerator to account for the alternating negative sign, however I can't find the denominator for the life of me...
my best attempt is [itex]\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2^n)}[/itex] but it only works for the first 2 terms :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't just try to randomly guess what the pattern is by looking at the first few terms. You want to try to do it a little more systematically than that. Try to write [itex]a_{n+2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_0[/itex] (hopefully you noticed that all the odd coefficients are zero).

i.e., start writing
[tex]a_{2k+2} = -\frac{a_{2k}}{2k+2} = (-1)^2\frac{a_{2k-2}}{(2k+2)(2k)} = (-1)^3\frac{a_{2k-4}}{(2k+2)(2k)(2k-2)} = \dots[/tex]
and then see if you can guess a pattern that gives [itex]a_{2k+2} = a_0/(\mbox{stuff})[/itex]. (note that I set n = 2k).

Once you figure out the pattern, if you want to legitimately prove it's correct you can prove it using induction (i.e., prove it holds for k = 1, then prove that if you assume the form is true for k it follows that it's true for k+1).

Also, note that the terms in a geometric series have the form [itex]ar^k[/itex]. Your terms won't look quite like this, so it's not exactly a geometric series.

The best I can do is 2k! which gives 2k(2k-2)(2k-4)...right? it works up k=3 to but it's missing the 2k+2 term and doesn't work for k=4
I know 2k! is expressed as [itex]2^{k}[/itex]k! but how is (2k+2)! expressed in such a way that I can calculate it?

edit*
oops, 2k! is right I believe. I miscalculated the series in my first post, instead of -1/48, 1/480 it should have been -1/48, 1/384 etc..

Last edited:
Looks like 1/480 should be 1/384 instead, and 1/5760 be 1/3840. Did you skip a term?

In any case, you might want to check out Sloan's Sequences: https://oeis.org/

xago said:
The best I can do is 2k! which gives 2k(2k-2)(2k-4)...right? it works up k=3 to but it's missing the 2k+2 term and doesn't work for k=4
I know 2k! is expressed as [itex]2^{k}[/itex]k! but how is (2k+2)! expressed in such a way that I can calculate it?

If you're still not sure, just take (2k)! and replace k with k + 1: (2(k+1))! = (2k+2)! = 2k+1(k+1)!, such that

[tex]a_{2k+2} = \frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{2^{k+1}(k+1)!}[/tex]

xago said:
(2k+2)!= (2(k+1))! so it would just be [itex]2^{k+1}(k+1)![/itex]

edit*
oops, 2k! is right I believe. I miscalculated the series in my first post, instead of -1/48, 1/480 it should have been -1/48, 1/384 etc..

Related to Simplifying to a Geometric Series

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. For example, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 is a geometric series with a ratio of 2.

2. How do you simplify a geometric series?

To simplify a geometric series, you can use the formula Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. You can also use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, which is S = a/(1-r), as long as the absolute value of r is less than 1.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the number that is multiplied by each term to get the next term in the sequence. It is denoted by the letter r and can be found by dividing any term by the previous term.

4. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This will result in alternating positive and negative terms in the sequence.

5. What are some real-life examples of geometric series?

Geometric series can be seen in various real-life scenarios such as compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. For example, a bank account that earns 5% interest annually can be represented by a geometric series with a common ratio of 1.05. As the number of years increases, the amount of interest earned each year will also increase due to the compounding effect.