Simply supported deep beam deflection

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a simply supported deep beam that has a uniformly distributed load. The beam is supported in three different scenarios and the results vary significantly. The differences are explained by the fact that the deep beam does not follow the assumptions of the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation and is more similar to a plate problem, where different boundary conditions give different solutions. The person asking for help is looking for an explanation for the differences in the three scenarios.
Daniel Tyler
Hi,

I have a problem with simply supported deep beam which has a uniformly distributed load. The beam is simply supported at both ends but I have to consider the results for the following 3 scenarios
- where the support is at the bottom of each end of the beam
- where the support is at the mid point at each end of the beam
- where support is at top of each end of the beam

I have run this using FEA and I'm finding significantly different deflections and stresses when the beam is supported at the midpoint at its end and the other two scenarios...can anyone explain the exact reasoning for this?

Sincere thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The deep beam does not follow the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation assumptions (particularly, that of plane sections remain plane). It is more like a plate problem, and different boundary conditions on a plate give different solutions.

Dr D

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of that but could you be more specific on the difference that would occur where you have a pinned support at the bottom of a beams end and a pinned support at the mid-height of a beams end?

Your help is much appreciated

Many Thanks

Daniel

As I tried to say previously, you are looking at three different problems; why should you be surprised when you find three different solutions?

yes but I do not understand the reasons for the differences...

1. What is a simply supported deep beam?

A simply supported deep beam is a structural element that is supported on two ends and is significantly deeper (height is greater than span) than a traditional beam. This type of beam is commonly used in long span structures such as bridges, parking garages, and high-rise buildings.

2. How is deflection calculated for a simply supported deep beam?

The deflection of a simply supported deep beam can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the beam's geometry, material properties, and applied loads. This calculation is typically done using mathematical equations or structural analysis software.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a simply supported deep beam?

The deflection of a simply supported deep beam is affected by several factors, including the beam's material properties (such as modulus of elasticity), cross-sectional geometry, span length, and applied loads. The stiffness of the supports and any additional structural elements attached to the beam can also impact deflection.

4. How does the deflection of a simply supported deep beam compare to that of a traditional beam?

The deflection of a simply supported deep beam is typically greater than that of a traditional beam with the same span length and applied loads. This is due to the deeper cross-sectional geometry, which allows for a larger moment of inertia and greater resistance to bending.

5. What are some methods for minimizing deflection in a simply supported deep beam?

There are several methods that can be used to minimize deflection in a simply supported deep beam, including using a stiffer material (such as steel instead of wood), increasing the beam's cross-sectional dimensions, reducing the span length, and adding additional supports or structural elements. It is important to carefully consider the design and loading conditions to determine the most effective method for minimizing deflection.