Simscape help -- make a beam tangent to eccentric axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling a system in simscape using simMechanics blocks. The system in question involves a ball bearing connected eccentrically to a motor axis, with a beam attached to it. The issue at hand is keeping the beam tangent to the ball bearing, as it currently passes through it. The suggestion is made to analyze the problem and use the most appropriate software for finding a solution.
rakenishu
hello everyone,

I'm trying to model a system in simscape using the simMechanics blocks.
The system I am trying to model is: a ball bearing connected eccentrically to a motor axis. On that ball bearing lays a beam. The edge of the beam is connected to an axis. so, the system looks like this:
upload_2017-8-4_23-5-26.png

I managed to model all the elements, but I don't know how to keep the beam tangent to the ball bearing.
motor = blue, motor axis = cyan and purple
upload_2017-8-4_23-8-24.png
upload_2017-8-4_23-10-4.png
upload_2017-8-4_23-10-45.png

Right now the beam (orange) just pass through the ball bearing (green)

any idea how to do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Essentially you have a cam-follower problem. Would it not be more useful to analyze the problem and then use whatever software is more most appropriate for the solution?

Related to Simscape help -- make a beam tangent to eccentric axis

1. How do I make a beam tangent to an eccentric axis in Simscape?

To make a beam tangent to an eccentric axis in Simscape, you can use the "Simscape Beam Junction" block. This block allows you to define the beam direction and offset from the axis of rotation, ensuring that the beam remains tangent to the eccentric axis.

2. Can I specify the eccentricity of the axis in Simscape?

Yes, you can specify the eccentricity of the axis in Simscape by adjusting the parameters in the "Simscape Beam Junction" block. You can define the eccentricity in terms of distance from the axis or as a percentage of the beam length.

3. Is there a limit to the eccentricity that can be specified in Simscape?

There is no specific limit to the eccentricity that can be specified in Simscape. However, it is important to keep in mind that excessively large eccentricities can cause instability in the simulation and should be avoided.

4. How does Simscape handle beams with multiple eccentric axes?

Simscape handles beams with multiple eccentric axes by using the "Simscape Multi-Axis Beam Junction" block. This block allows you to define the eccentricity and orientation of each axis, ensuring that the beam remains tangent to all of the specified axes.

5. Can I visualize the eccentricity of the beam in Simscape?

Yes, you can visualize the eccentricity of the beam in Simscape by using the "Simscape Multibody Plot" block. This block allows you to plot the position of the beam relative to the eccentric axis, giving you a visual representation of the eccentricity.