Simulated circular motion on a roller coaster

In summary, the conversation discusses a roller coaster at an amusement park which utilizes clever design technology and basic physics principles. The conversation then goes on to discuss the forces acting on the roller coaster, specifically the normal force and the centripetal force. It is mentioned that the normal force is not equal to the weight of the roller coaster and riders, but rather the resultant force that produces the centripetal acceleration. The conversation also touches on the correct way to apply Newton's 2nd law in this situation.
doneky

Homework Statement

A roller coaster at the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee, Illinois, incorporates some clever design technology and some basic physics. Each vertical loop, instead of being circular, is shaped like a teardrop. The cars ride on the inside of the loop at the top, and the speeds are fast enough to ensure that the cars remain on the track. The biggest loop is 40.0 mhigh. Suppose the speed at the top is 10.0 m/s and the corresponding centripetal acceleration is 2g.

(b) If the total mass of a car plus the riders is M, what force does the rail exert on the car at the top?

choices are:
a) Mg (down)
b) 2Mg (up)
c) M(v2/r + 2g) (up)
d) Mg (up)
e) M(v2/r + 2g) (down)
f) 2Mg (down)

(d) Comment on the normal force at the top in the situation described in part (c) and on the advantages of having teardrop-shaped loops

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to create a free body diagram of the roller coaster, but I can't seem to understand how the normal force can even exist if Mg and Ma(c) (the gravity force and centripetal force) would be pointing straight down. This seems to be my weak point in this chapter. I can't comprehend how simulated circular motion works, especially with vertical circles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I kind of get that it's a resultant force, but I don't get how, especially in this problem,

Basically, if you applied Newton's 2nd law, Fnet = ma, you would get N - mg = mac. Right?

I just don't understand how you get the normal force, if it's not equal to mg in this situation.

doneky said:
if you applied Newton's 2nd law, Fnet = ma, you would get N - mg = mac. Right?
That depends how you are defining the constant g. I expect you are defining it such that its value is positive, so the equation is wrong.
doneky said:
I just don't understand how you get the normal force
From the correct version of that equation. You are told the value of ac.

Does it make a difference, though? I've been doing it this way, and it seems to make more sense for me. Are you saying it should be N + mg = mac because gravity is negative? It's just more intuitive for me to do it the other way.

doneky said:
Does it make a difference, though? I've been doing it this way, and it seems to make more sense for me. Are you saying it should be N + mg = mac because gravity is negative? It's just more intuitive for me to do it the other way.
Which way it should be depends on the convention you are adopting. Which way is positive for N, for g, for ac?

1. What is simulated circular motion on a roller coaster?

Simulated circular motion on a roller coaster is the motion of a roller coaster car as it moves along a track in a circular path. This motion is simulated through the use of engineering principles and physics to create a thrilling and safe experience for riders.

2. How is simulated circular motion achieved on a roller coaster?

Simulated circular motion on a roller coaster is achieved through a combination of gravitational and centripetal forces. The track is designed to create varying angles and speeds in order to produce the desired circular motion.

3. What factors affect the simulated circular motion on a roller coaster?

The factors that affect the simulated circular motion on a roller coaster include the design and shape of the track, the speed of the roller coaster, the weight of the cars and passengers, and the forces of gravity and friction.

4. How is safety ensured during simulated circular motion on a roller coaster?

Safety is ensured during simulated circular motion on a roller coaster through rigorous testing and design processes. Engineers use advanced technology and mathematical equations to calculate and predict the forces and motions involved in the ride, and safety features such as restraints and emergency brakes are in place to protect riders.

5. What are some potential dangers of simulated circular motion on a roller coaster?

Some potential dangers of simulated circular motion on a roller coaster include rider discomfort or motion sickness, and the possibility of mechanical malfunctions or human error. However, these risks are minimized through proper design, maintenance, and safety measures.