Simulating GR: Worth the Effort?

• I
  • Thread starter accdd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary: Studying methods to simulate what happens in relativity can be very helpful in understanding and/or calculating some of the effects of relativity. However, it is important to keep in mind that simulations can sometimes be more complex than necessary, and can distract from the theoretical aspects of the subject.
accdd
I know that simulation of phenomena in general relativity is computationally complex. However, simulating the phenomena you are studying often helps. In your opinion, should I study methods to simulate what happens in relativity? Is it worth it? Or would it distract me from the theoretical aspects?
I only know the basic programming in python and julia.
I am studying GR from Carroll's book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say, if you are interested in numerical calculations in physics, it's a great time to do this in the field of general relativity right now. This field is "quite hot" at the moment due to the observability of gravitational wave signals from neutron-star mergers. It's also a fascinating, broad topic of (theoretical) physics, involving relativistic hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics as well as the equation of state of nuclear matter (high-energy nuclear physics) with close relations to heavy-ion physics as explored at the LHC, RHIC and in the near future close to my home at FAIR.

Here's the website of my astrophysical colleagues, working in this field:

https://relastro.uni-frankfurt.de/

Likes berkeman, PeroK and accdd
Last edited:
Likes accdd and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Here's the website of my astrophysical colleagues, working in this field:

https://relastro.uni-frankfurt.de/

I love the ITP Calendar for Upcoming Events... :smile:

1654007562016.png

Likes vanhees71
When results can’t easily be obtained by pure theoretical or mathematical methods, then (apart from actually building the system or finding the system and taking measurements of it) numerical methods are likely your only way to make progress.

Certainly, a detailed simulation (of any system) has a lot of complexity and may require many resources… but not every simulation has to be that detailed.

Here’s a new book by a colleague that may be helpful:
Numerical Relativity: Starting from Scratch
Baumgarte & Shapiro
https://www.cambridge.org/core/book...rom-scratch/FB5B832C4ED8EFE65A5834C6D6D4657D#

In my opinion, computation is a valuable skill not to be underestimated or undervalued, especially these days.

Likes accdd and vanhees71

Related to Simulating GR: Worth the Effort?

1. What is GR and why is it worth simulating?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein. It is worth simulating because it is the most accurate and comprehensive theory of gravity that we have, and it has been successfully tested and confirmed by numerous experiments.

2. What is the purpose of simulating GR?

The purpose of simulating GR is to better understand how gravity works and its effects on the universe. This can help us make predictions about the behavior of celestial objects, such as planets and stars, and also aid in the development of new technologies.

3. How is GR simulated?

GR is typically simulated using computer programs and mathematical models. These simulations involve solving complex equations and using numerical methods to calculate the behavior of particles and objects in a simulated gravitational field.

4. What are the challenges of simulating GR?

Simulating GR can be challenging due to the complexity of the theory and the large amount of data that needs to be processed. Additionally, accurately representing the behavior of objects in a simulated gravitational field can be difficult and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are the benefits of simulating GR?

Simulating GR can provide valuable insights into the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and can help us make predictions about the evolution of galaxies, black holes, and other celestial objects. It also allows us to test and refine our understanding of GR, which can lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe.