Simulating quantum coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of 8 random variables with the constraint that their sum squared is equal to unity. This is for a quantum simulation of 4 qubits, with the suggestion to use Monte-Carlo simulations to evenly distribute the points on a 7D "sphere". The idea of using NormalDistribution is also brought up, with the suggestion to create 8 random variables on the interval [-1,1] and then normalizing them.
Alex Cros
Hi everyone,

I want to generate 8 random variables (in reality to form 4 complex numbers) such that the sum of the 8 variables squared is equal to unity. The aim of generating such numbers is to perform a quantum simulation of 4 qubits (thus the 8 parameters). I've been trying to use RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[]] in Mathematica (since the rest of the calculations are there) but I'm not quite sure how to satisfy the constraint described before. I'm not familiar with Monte-Carlo simulations.

Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
Alex Cros said:
I'm not familiar with Monte-Carlo simulations.
You will have to do something about that ...

8D is too complicated for me.

In a 3D equivalent: suppose you generate sets of 3 uniformly distributed random numbers -- i.e. a cube, uniformly filled with points. If you want the sphere ##r^2 = 1## then picking only the points that satisfy that constraint is totally inefficient. Switch to spherical coordinates and pick ##\phi## and ##\theta##: all points are on the sphere.

Alas, now they are unevenly distributed over the surface of the sphere. Easily fixed by not distributing ##\theta## itself evenly, but ##\cos\theta## instead (Something to do with ##dA = r \sin\theta \,d\theta d\phi \ ## -- check this because I quote from long term-memory that may have suffered from radiation damage :smile:).​

And this concludes your first MC101 lesson :rolleyes: . Homework: extrapolate to 8D :wink: .

By the way: is ##r^2 = 1## the only constraint ? And is it right to assume you want the points evenly distributed over the 7D 'sphere' ? Why do you have 'NormalDistribution' in there ?

Last edited:
Likes Alex Cros
Alex Cros said:
I want to generate 8 random variables (in reality to form 4 complex numbers) such that the sum of the 8 variables squared is equal to unity. The aim of generating such numbers is to perform a quantum simulation of 4 qubits (thus the 8 parameters).
I don't understand what you want. Do you need to determine the state of 4 qubits, independent of each other? If that is the case, then you can use @BvU's advice and generate 4 locations on the Bloch sphere.

Likes Alex Cros
How about creating 8 random variables on the interval [-1,1] and then normalizing them?
##X_{i}=random(-1,1), i=1,8##
##A=\sqrt{X{_1}^2+X_{2}^2+...X_{8}^2}##
##Y_{i}=X_{i}/A##

Likes Alex Cros
Gene Naden said:
How about creating 8 random variables on the interval [-1,1] and then normalizing them?
##X_{i}=random(-1,1), i=1,8##
##A=\sqrt{X{_1}^2+X_{2}^2+...X_{8}^2}##
##Y_{i}=X_{i}/A##
In 3D that would be projecting the 'cube' on the 'sphere' -- unevenly distributed, which may or may not be ok, depending on what it is that you do want evenly distributed...

Likes Alex Cros

1. What is the purpose of simulating quantum coefficients?

The purpose of simulating quantum coefficients is to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which are described by complex coefficients. By simulating these coefficients, scientists can gain insight into the underlying physical laws and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How do scientists simulate quantum coefficients?

Scientists use various computational methods, such as matrix diagonalization or Monte Carlo simulations, to simulate quantum coefficients. These methods involve solving complex mathematical equations and using computer algorithms to calculate the values of the coefficients.

3. What are some applications of simulating quantum coefficients?

Simulating quantum coefficients has many practical applications, such as in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also helps in advancing our understanding of fundamental physics and can be used to design new materials and technologies.

4. Can quantum coefficients be measured directly?

No, quantum coefficients cannot be measured directly. They represent the probability amplitudes of different quantum states, and can only be inferred through measurements of observable quantities, such as energy or spin.

5. Are there any challenges in simulating quantum coefficients?

Yes, simulating quantum coefficients can be challenging due to the complex mathematics involved and the need for high computational power. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the chosen method and the precision of the input parameters.