Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian of the e-m field in single mode field quantization using the formalism proposed by Gerry-Knight in the book "Introductory Quantum Optics". The electric and magnetic fields are given and the Hamiltonian corresponding to the electromagnetic energy density is derived. The final result is obtained using Fourier transforms and working in frequency/momentum space, simplifying the calculations. It is suggested to substitute kz for an angle and use the formula for the cosine of a double angle to eliminate the sin squared term. This introduces a factor of 1/2 in the final result.
ja!
Hi!
I'm having some trouble on understanding how the Hamiltonian of the e-m field in the single mode field quantization is obtained in the formalism proposed by Gerry-Knight in the book "Introductory Quantum Optics".
(see, http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic820704.files/Lec11_Gerry_Knight.pdf )

The electric and magnetic field are:
[tex] E(z,t) = \hat{x} q(t) \sqrt{\frac{2\omega^2}{\epsilon_0 V}}sin(kz) [/tex]
[tex] B(z,t) = \hat{y} \frac{1}{c^2 k} p(t) \sqrt{\frac{2\omega^2}{\epsilon_0 V}}cos(kz) [/tex]

and the Hamiltonian corresponding to the electromagnetic energy density is:
[tex] H=\frac{1}{2}\int_V dV [\epsilon_0 E^2 + \frac{B^2}{\mu_0}] [/tex]

Therefore I can write:
[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}\int_V dV [\epsilon_0 q^2(t) {\frac{2\omega^2}{\epsilon_0 V}}sin^2(kz) + \frac{\frac{1}{c^4 k^2} p(t)^2 {\frac{2\omega^2}{\epsilon_0 V}}cos^2(kz)}{\mu_0}][/tex]
Which becomes:
[tex]H=\omega^2 q^2 \int_v \frac{1}{V}sin^2(kz) dV + p^2 \int_v \frac{1}{V}cos^2(kz) dV[/tex]

Now, the final result should be
[tex]H=\frac{1}{2} (p^2+\omega^2q^2)[/tex]

But I son't really understand how this is obtained since when I calculate the hamiltonian a get stucked in the following integral:
[tex]\int_v\frac{1}{V}sin^2(kz) dV[/tex]

which brings me a sin factor I'm not sure how to remove.

Does anyone have calculated the Hamiltonian following this formalism and help me to solve my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Fourier transforms and work in frequency/momentum space then everything simplifies a lot!

You might substitute kz for an angle and integrate over 0 to pi. You will need the formula for the cosine of a double angle to elimate the sin squared term. This introduces the factor of 1/2.

1. What is the Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian?

The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a single mode of an electromagnetic field. It takes into account the quantized nature of the electromagnetic field, which is the smallest unit of energy that can be exchanged between the field and matter.

2. How is the Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian derived?

The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and classical electromagnetism. It involves the use of creation and annihilation operators, which represent the creation and destruction of photons in the electromagnetic field.

3. What are the applications of the Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian?

The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian has various applications in the fields of quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum computing. It is used to study the interaction between light and matter, and to understand the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What are the limitations of the Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian?

The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian is limited to describing the behavior of a single mode of the electromagnetic field. It does not take into account the interactions between multiple modes or the effects of non-linearities in the system. It also assumes a vacuum state, which can be unrealistic in some physical systems.

5. How is the Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian is a special case of the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It describes the time evolution of a quantum system and can be used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement. The Single-mode field quantization Hamiltonian is specifically used for systems involving quantized electromagnetic fields.