Single particle shell model for nucleus

In summary, we use the nuclear shell model to predict the ground state spin and parity for ^{7}_{3}Li, ^{15}_{7}N, and ^{31}_{15}P. For ^{7}_{3}Li, we have an odd number of protons and only one proton sits in the 1P_{3/2} state, giving it a spin of 3/2 and parity of -1. For ^{15}_{7}N, we are left with one hole in the 1P_{1/2} state, giving it a spin of 1/2 and parity of -1. For ^{31}_{15}P, we fill up shells up to
BOYLANATOR

Homework Statement

Predict the ground state spin and parity for [itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex], [itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]. [itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex].

Homework Equations

Fill up shells for neutrons and protons separately.
Shells in increasing energy are: [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{5/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{3/2}[/itex]
and have occupancies: 2, 4, 2, 6, 4, 8, 6

A missing proton is a hole with parity -1.
An unpaired neutron has parity +1.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex]: We have odd protons so only interested in this. [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex] fills up. Then only one proton out of four sits in [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex]. It has j = 3/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]: We are interested in the 7 protons. We will be left with one hole in [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex] so it has j = 1/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex]: We are interested in the 15 protons. We fill up 2, 4, 2, 6 and then are left with 1 out of 4 in [itex]1D_{3/2}[/itex]. This unpaired proton should have spin 3/2 and parity -1 if I use my same method.
However the answer given is that the unpaired proton sits in the [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex] so has spin
1/2 and parity +1. How am I to know that jumping up to 2S is more favourable than carrying on through the 1X's? Why is the parity now +1. Does it flip when you jump from 1X to 2X?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you check your list ? there are 6 shells with ##1S_{1/2}## appearing twice (I take it the second should be ##2S_{1/2}## ?) and there are 7 occupancies, with unlikely values. I would expect something like 2,4,2,2,6,4 but that still brings you to ##1D_{5/2}## with P, so it looks as if the ##2S_{1/2}## sits between ##1D_{5/2}## and ##1D_{3/2}## , which isn't impossible. See http://jol.liljenzin.se/KAPITEL/CH11NY3.PDF 310-313

Sorry for sloppy post, and also you are right about the ordering. Let me write it out correctly.

BOYLANATOR said:

Homework Statement

Predict the ground state spin and parity for [itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex], [itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]. [itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex].

Homework Equations

Fill up shells for neutrons and protons separately.
Shells in increasing energy are: [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{5/2}[/itex], [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{3/2}[/itex]
and have occupancies: 2, 4, 2, 6, 2, 4, 8, 6

A missing proton is a hole with parity -1.
An unpaired neutron has parity +1.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex]: We have odd protons so only interested in this. [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex] fills up. Then only one proton out of four sits in [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex]. It has j = 3/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]: We are interested in the 7 protons. We will be left with one hole in [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex] so it has j = 1/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex]: We are interested in the 15 protons. We fill up 2, 4, 2, 6 and then are left with 1 out of 2 in [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex]. The hole should have spin 1/2 as given in solution.

Regarding the parity, does it flip when we jump up an energy level. (Going from [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex] to [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex] is jumping up an energy level right? Increasing the quantum number n.)

I don't really know much about parity and I don't understand the "a missing proton is a hole with parity -1".

As far as I know parity depends on angular momentum L as (-1)L and the primary quantum number n doesn't appear. S states are L=0 states, so definitely even parity: there is no ##\theta,\, \phi## dependence.

I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_shell_model#Other_properties_of_nuclei.

"All protons in the same level (n) have the same parity (either +1 or −1), and since the parity of a pair of particles is the product of their parities, an even number of protons from the same level (n) will have +1 parity"

Although it doesn't state it explicitly this suggests that the parity does switch as you move up n.

I am not buying it. The whole S, P, D thing comes from splitting the r dependency in the wavefunction from the ##\theta, \phi## dependence. n has to do with the r (##|\vec r|##) dependence -- even parity, period. Proton itself has intrinsic party +1 (definition). Odd parity can come from l and m and it turns out p = (-1)l.

Wikipedia isn't always right. I'm not always right either, so if someone could set this straight, I'd be grateful.

BvU said:
I don't really know much about parity and I don't understand the "a missing proton is a hole with parity -1".

As far as I know parity depends on angular momentum L as (-1)L and the primary quantum number n doesn't appear. S states are L=0 states, so definitely even parity: there is no ##\theta,\, \phi## dependence.

Yes, the missing proton is a hole with parity -1 is the problem statement here I think. I read this out of context and it doesn't help.

I've learned one should just think in terms of unpaired protons in terms of holes. So the parity is simply +1 as it is in an l = 0 shell and the unpaired proton has +1 parity.

I get it now. Thanks!

What is the single particle shell model for nucleus?

The single particle shell model for nucleus is a theoretical model used to explain the structure of atomic nuclei. It describes the arrangement of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in energy levels or shells within the nucleus, similar to the arrangement of electrons in shells around the nucleus of an atom.

How does the single particle shell model explain nuclear stability?

The single particle shell model explains nuclear stability by predicting that nuclei with certain numbers of protons and neutrons that fill complete shells will be more stable than those with incomplete shells. This is because the complete shells provide a higher binding energy, making the nucleus less likely to decay.

What are the limitations of the single particle shell model?

The single particle shell model has some limitations, such as not being able to accurately predict the properties of nuclei with high numbers of nucleons. It also does not take into account the strong and weak nuclear forces that play a role in nuclear interactions.

How does the single particle shell model relate to the periodic table of elements?

The single particle shell model and the periodic table of elements are related in that they both show patterns of filling energy levels or shells. In the periodic table, the elements are arranged in order of increasing atomic number, while in the single particle shell model, the nucleons are arranged in order of increasing energy levels.

What experimental evidence supports the single particle shell model?

There is a significant amount of experimental evidence that supports the single particle shell model. For example, the observed stability of certain nuclei and the existence of magic numbers (nuclei with complete shells) are consistent with the predictions of the model. Additionally, studies of nuclear reactions and properties also support the single particle shell model.