Single Setting Torque Wrench with extension calculations

In summary, the individual is seeking a second opinion on whether to shorten or increase their extension when using a break style torque wrench with certain workheads. They are trying to use a larger setting (30inlb) to torque a fitting that requires 16inlb and are unsure of which option is correct. However, it is determined that neither option will be beneficial as it will only alter the amount of force needed to snap the wrench at its 30inlb setting. A calculator is provided to assist with shortening the working distance.
Spoolx
All,
I have been going back and forth in my head on if I should shorten my extension or increase it and I need a second opinion to straighten me out.

PN: 5T-I-SET
https://snaponindustrialbrands.com/...nt/PDF/Snap-on Industrial Brands CAT4 113.pdf

Its a break style torque wrench that comes with certain workheads that are 2.5" from torque centerline to pin location in the workhead (specified by the manufacturer)
https://snaponindustrialbrands.com/...nt/PDF/Snap-on Industrial Brands CAT4 114.pdf

I am trying to use a torque wrench with a larger setting (30inlb) to torque a fitting that requires 16inlb... I can't decide if I should shorten the 2.5" or lengthen it... I've convinced myself that both are right. I've drawn free body diagrams and all but I need some advice.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my view neither will help. Lengthening or extending the arm will only alter the amount of force required on the end of the arm to snap the wrench at its 30 in-lb setting.

Likes Stephen Tashi
There is a calculator at: http://www.rv7.us/a_u-torquewrenchsetting.htm

To shorten the working distance, enter a negative number for the extension length. For instance if you shorten by 1" the wrench will read 26.7 in.lbs. when the fastener has 16 in.-lbs.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is a single setting torque wrench?

A single setting torque wrench is a tool used to tighten bolts or nuts to a specific torque value. It has a fixed torque setting and will click or release when that torque value is reached.

2. How do I use a single setting torque wrench?

To use a single setting torque wrench, first select the appropriate size for your bolt or nut. Then, set the torque value by turning the handle or knob until it clicks or releases. Finally, use the wrench to tighten the bolt or nut until the click or release is felt.

3. Can I use an extension with a single setting torque wrench?

Yes, you can use an extension with a single setting torque wrench. However, you will need to adjust the torque value to account for the added length of the extension. This can be done by using a torque calculator or referring to the manufacturer's instructions.

4. How do I calculate the torque value when using an extension with a single setting torque wrench?

To calculate the torque value when using an extension with a single setting torque wrench, you will need to know the length of the extension and the torque value recommended for the bolt or nut. Use a torque calculator or refer to the manufacturer's instructions to determine the adjusted torque value.

5. What are the benefits of using a single setting torque wrench with extension calculations?

The main benefit of using a single setting torque wrench with extension calculations is that it allows for proper torque application, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and integrity of mechanical assemblies. By adjusting the torque value for extensions, you can achieve accurate and consistent torque values for all bolts and nuts.