Torque wrench + multiplier + crows foot

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a torque wrench attached to a multiplier and a crows foot. The person is trying to calculate the input torque needed to produce a specific output torque at the crows foot. They have come up with an equation for the moment about the crows foot and are wondering if there is a better way to calculate the input torque when using a multiplier.
PKdebo
I've got a torque wrench attached to a multiplier that is attached to a crows foot, and I'm trying to spec the input torque (at the wrench head) that will give us a corresponding output torque (at the crows foot).

I am aware of the calculations that need to be made when a crows foot (alone) is being used, but am struggling with the introduction of the multiplier.

This is what I came up with:

Given:
- Length of torque wrench is X
- Length of crows foot is Y
- Applied force is F

The equation for the moment about the crows foot reduces to: F*(4X + Y)
(please take a look at the attached pdf if you're interested in how I came up with this equation)

Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• multiplier problem.pdf
    122.7 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a better way to calculate the input torque when a multiplier is used? Thanks in advance for your help!

1. What is a torque wrench?

A torque wrench is a specialized tool used to tighten bolts and nuts to a specific torque value. This ensures that the fasteners are tightened to the correct tightness, preventing damage or failure.

2. What is a torque multiplier?

A torque multiplier is a device that increases the torque output of a torque wrench. It is typically used for tightening large or stubborn bolts that require more torque than a regular torque wrench can provide.

3. When should I use a crows foot attachment with my torque wrench?

A crows foot attachment is used when the fastener being tightened is located in a tight or hard-to-reach area. It allows the torque wrench to be used at an angle and still accurately measure the torque applied.

4. How do I use a torque wrench, torque multiplier, and crows foot together?

To use these tools together, first attach the crows foot to the torque multiplier, then attach the torque multiplier to the torque wrench. Finally, use the torque wrench to tighten the fastener to the desired torque value.

5. Can I use a torque wrench without a torque multiplier and crows foot?

Yes, a torque wrench can be used on its own, but it may not be suitable for all types of fasteners. The torque multiplier and crows foot provide additional versatility and accuracy for certain applications.