Single Slit Diffraction and Monochromatic light

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the width of a single slit based on the known values of the distance from the slit to the screen, the wavelength of the light passing through the slit, and the distance of the first-order dark band from the center of the pattern on the screen. The formula for the direction to the first minimum is recommended for use, along with calculating theta using arctan(.29/88) to obtain the correct answer.
jones268
Monochromatic light with a wavelength of 419 nm passes through a single slit and falls on a screen 88 cm away. If the distance of the first-order dark band is 0.29 cm from the center of the pattern, what is the width of the slit?

My knowns are as follows:
L= 88 cm (distance from slit to screen)
λ= 419 nm
WCM= 0.58 cm (width of the central max, I assumed it was twice the distance from the center of the patter to the first order dark band)
w=? unknown width of the slit

I thought I should use the following equation:

WCM=[(2)(λ)(L)]/[(square root of : (w^2 - λ^2))]

I plugged the numbers into the equation and solved for w, but came up with the wrong answer, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
you should be able to solve for an angle using the distance of the first order band. After that, there will be a formula that relates all of your other components to theta and slit width.

Shouldn't you be using the formula for the direction to the first minimum
sin θ = nλ/a where a is the slit width?

Thanks stonebridge for the help, I never thought of using that equation for L. But I'm still coming up short on the right answer. Instead of 0.0127145 cm as my answer, I'm coming up with 0.0165528450 cm. :/ This is so frustrating.

use the formula that stonebridge just gave you. I got the right answer. make sure that you calculate your theta using arctan(.29/88)

Related to Single Slit Diffraction and Monochromatic light

What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a monochromatic light (light of a single wavelength) passes through a narrow opening or slit. This results in the light spreading out and producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen.

What is monochromatic light?

Monochromatic light is light of a single wavelength or color. This means that all the photons in this light have the same frequency and energy. A laser beam is a good example of monochromatic light.

How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit has a direct effect on the diffraction pattern. A wider slit will result in a narrower central maximum and more spread out fringes, while a narrower slit will produce a wider central maximum and more closely spaced fringes.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of light is inversely proportional to the spacing of the fringes in the diffraction pattern. This means that as the wavelength of light increases, the spacing between the fringes decreases, and vice versa.

How does the distance between the slit and the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slit and the screen has a direct effect on the diffraction pattern. As this distance increases, the fringes become wider and more spread out, while a shorter distance will result in narrower and more closely spaced fringes.