Single Slit Diffraction find central maximum

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding single slit diffraction. The first question involves finding the angular width of the central maximum when a single slit of 1.50 um width is illuminated with light of wavelength 500.0 nm. The second question involves finding the width of a slit when microwaves of wavelength 2.8 cm produce a central maximum with a half width of 0.67 m at a distance of 2 m from the slit. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the second question but their answer was incorrect. They provide links for further discussion and resources for finding the solution.
Peter G.
Hi,

I have tried tackling these question but I am simply absolutely lost...

1. A single slit of width 1.50 um is illuminated with light of wavelength 500.0 nm. Find the angular width of the central maximum.

I have no attempt for number 1.

2. Microwaves of wavelength 2.8 cm fall on a slit and the central maximum at a distance 2 m from the slit is found to have a half width of 0.67 m. Find the width of the slit.

Well, I tried to find the angle by dividing 0.67/1. To find the slit width I then dividing 0.028 by 0.67. But my answer was wrong according to the book.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is single slit diffraction and how does it work?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon in which a single slit is illuminated with a coherent light source, such as a laser, and the light diffracts or spreads out into a pattern of bright and dark fringes. This occurs because the slit acts as a secondary wave source, causing the light waves to interfere with each other. The resulting pattern is known as the diffraction pattern.

2. What is the central maximum in single slit diffraction?

The central maximum in single slit diffraction is the brightest spot in the diffraction pattern, located at the center of the pattern. This is where the maximum constructive interference occurs, resulting in the maximum intensity of light. This spot is also known as the zeroth order maximum.

3. How is the width of the central maximum in single slit diffraction related to the width of the slit?

The width of the central maximum in single slit diffraction is directly proportional to the width of the slit. This means that as the slit width increases, the width of the central maximum also increases. This relationship can be expressed by the equation: d sinθ = λ, where d is the width of the slit, θ is the angle at which the central maximum is located, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

4. What factors affect the visibility of the central maximum in single slit diffraction?

The visibility of the central maximum in single slit diffraction is affected by several factors, including the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen. A narrower slit, shorter wavelength, and larger distance between the slit and the screen will result in a more visible central maximum.

5. How is the intensity of the central maximum in single slit diffraction related to the intensity of the incident light?

The intensity of the central maximum in single slit diffraction is directly proportional to the intensity of the incident light. This means that as the intensity of the incident light increases, the intensity of the central maximum also increases. This relationship can be expressed by the equation: I = I0 (sinθ/θ)2, where I is the intensity of the central maximum, I0 is the intensity of the incident light, and θ is the angle at which the central maximum is located.