Why is the Voltage Induced in a Rotating Coil Sinusoidal?

In summary, the magnetic flux passes from the North pole to the south pole of a magnet in a sinusoidal wave form with different amplitudes.
souky101
Sinusoidal wave form ?

I am asking:

We know that if a coil rotates in a transverse magnetic field a sinusoidal voltage is induced between its terminals.

My question now is:

Why it is exactly sinusoidal in the shape and not any other wave shape??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sine waves are fundamental to the physics of rotating objects. The sine wave is the basic description of a position on a rotating object. Whether you are talking about the distance of a point on the rotating object to some other place, its x-coordinate position, or its y-coordinate position, they will all have a sine wave in one form or another. Furthermore, the velocities and accelerations of a point on a constantly rotating object can be expressed with sine waves in some way.

If we look at the automotive alternator we find a rotating field ( produced by 2 poles -North and south) and stator conductor is stationary.
Is the magnetic flux passes from the North pole to the south pole has a half wave of a sinusoidal shape - and that is why we get induced voltage of a sinusoidal shape ??

Yes.

Is the flux lines crossing from the North pole to the South pole have exactly "half wave shape" of a prefect sinusoidal wave form ??

Do you have any reference supports that thought? / guessing??

An educated guess. If you want a proof that works in all situations, I recommend these steps:
1) prove that the sum of sines of the same period gives a sine of that period. That would be a basic trig fact.
2) prove that a single wire going in a circle in a magnetic field gives a sine. The fact that position and velocity components are sine functions should help.
3) show that any combination of wires and magnetic fields can be described as the sum of outputs from a single wire in a single magnetic field. This should follow from the fact that fields are additive.

I haven't looked for a reference, but I think you might find one with Google.

My question again in simplified way :

Is the magnetic flux passes from the North pole to the south pole of a magnet consists of group of " half waves of a perfect sinusoidal shape' with different amplitudes ?

souky101 said:
My question again in simplified way :

Is the magnetic flux passes from the North pole to the south pole of a magnet consists of group of " half waves of a perfect sinusoidal shape' with different amplitudes ?
When you get down to that basic question, I am not sure of the answer. I guess that I would be surprised if it was always a perfect sine wave in all situations -- for all shapes of magnets. But it still might be true. I will have to leave it to someone more expert in that subject.

1. What is a sinusoidal wave?

A sinusoidal wave, also known as a sine wave, is a type of periodic wave that has a smooth repetitive oscillation. It is characterized by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

2. How is a sinusoidal wave generated?

A sinusoidal wave can be generated using a simple harmonic oscillator, such as a spring or pendulum. It can also be created using electronic devices known as function generators, which produce a precise and adjustable sine wave signal.

3. What is the importance of sinusoidal wave generation?

Sinusoidal wave generation is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as sound, light, and electrical signals, and is the basis for many complex waveforms.

4. What factors affect the characteristics of a sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude, wavelength, and frequency of a sinusoidal wave can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the medium through which it travels, the amplitude and frequency of the driving force, and any interference or damping effects.

5. Can a sinusoidal wave be altered or manipulated?

Yes, a sinusoidal wave can be altered or manipulated in several ways. It can be amplified, attenuated, or filtered using electronic circuits. It can also be combined with other waves to create complex waveforms, or modulated to carry information in communication systems.