Sir Isaac Newton exam question

In summary, the problem seems to be that the waves of different wavelengths emitted by the crystal ball would never be coherent, which would lead to confusion as to which image should be displayed on the glasses.
diggadigga
Homework Statement
With 2019 behind him, Rohan refracted on the past year by wearing his 2020-Hindsight- Fiber-Optic Glasses to view the magic coherent 2019 Crystal Ball. Unbeknownst to Rohan, the 2020 Glasses were defective because the left and right fibers of the glasses had different indices. Fiber Optic 1 had an index of refraction n1 = 1.5 and Fiber Optic 2 had index n2 = 2.5. Both fiber optic paths are exactly 339 cm in length. Bright white light, emitted by the very distant Magic Crystal Ball, enters each fiber of the glasses and travels along their radii until their images are superimposed on the single Screen of the glasses. What’s the most prominent color that Rohan sees in the image? Assume the fibers are very thin. Hint: 1 nm = 1×10-9 m.

(a) Red ( ≃ 647 nm)
(b) Yellow ( ≃ 575 nm)
(c) Green ( ≃ 516 nm)
(d) Blue ( ≃ 452 nm)
(e) White (all wavelengths)
Relevant Equations
There aren’t any relevant equations on the test
I thought about using the snell’s law because it involves different refractive index but I have no idea why the wavelength would be affected by the snell’s law. I thought that maybe if I found the frequency I might be able to get the wavelength but, I don’t know which formula I should use. I then tried to use the dispersion crystal, but I don’t know why I would do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

diggadigga said:
to view the magic coherent 2019 Crystal Ball.

Bright white light, emitted by the very distant Magic Crystal Ball, enters each fiber of the glasses and travels along their radii until their images are superimposed on the single Screen of the glasses.

Pretty goofy question. Can you say more about the apparent problem issue between the two parts of the problem statement that I've highlighted?

the magic coherent thing isn't related to the problem, the crystal just emits white light this image from the problem might help http://ibb.co/QC2LCym

diggadigga said:
the magic coherent thing isn't related to the problem
It is a strange problem, but it seems to me coherence is key.
I think you have to assume that for each wavelength emitted by the crystal ball it is emitted coherently; that is, the waves of a given wavelength enter the fibres in phase.

From my understanding white light is made from all of the visible light's wavelength, and since their wavelength is different they would never be coherent, is there a formula that you could give that would better explain this?

diggadigga said:
From my understanding white light is made from all of the visible light's wavelength, and since their wavelength is different they would never be coherent, is there a formula that you could give that would better explain this?
That's why I say it's a bit strange.
Note that they give you wavelengths of four specific colours, so assume this white light is made of just those four.
(And yes, it is possible to blend three or more pure wavelengths so that a human could not distinguish from white light as a continuous spectrum, so "white" does not imply a continuous spectrum.)
Each colour could in itself be coherent, and on that basis you can answer the problem.

Likes berkeman

1. Who was Sir Isaac Newton?

Sir Isaac Newton was a renowned English mathematician, physicist, and astronomer who lived in the 17th and 18th centuries. He is widely considered one of the most influential scientists in history and is best known for his laws of motion and theory of gravity.

2. What is the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question"?

The "Sir Isaac Newton exam question" is a hypothetical exam question that is often used to test students' understanding of Newton's laws of motion. It typically asks students to explain how an object's motion would change if different forces were applied to it.

3. Why is the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question" important?

The "Sir Isaac Newton exam question" is important because it tests students' understanding of Newton's laws of motion, which are fundamental principles in physics. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as students must apply these laws to a given scenario.

4. How can I prepare for the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question"?

To prepare for the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question," it is important to have a thorough understanding of Newton's laws of motion. This can be achieved by studying and practicing problems related to these laws, as well as understanding their real-world applications.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question"?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the "Sir Isaac Newton exam question." For instance, when a car suddenly brakes, the passengers inside will continue to move forward due to inertia (Newton's first law). When a ball is thrown into the air, it will eventually fall back to the ground due to the force of gravity (Newton's second law). And when a rocket is launched into space, it is propelled by the force of its engines (Newton's third law).