Size Effect on Structural Strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the Size Effect and its two types - Statistical and Energetic. The first type, Energetic, is further divided into two situations - one involving a beam undergoing bending with microcracks, and the other involving a significant crack already formed. The derivation for the first situation may not make sense and it is uncertain if it applies to other scenarios. The second type applies to a larger crack failing at a lower stress and is similar to Griffith's Criterion. However, there may be significant differences and it may only apply to brittle materials.
person123
TL;DR Summary
I want to check if my intuition behind the size effect is generally correct, even if I don't fully understand the derivation.
I'm using the wikipedia page on Size Effect to get an understanding of it. It identifies Statistical and Energetic size effects and two types within energetic.

I believe I understand statistical, as it seems to essentially say that assuming there's some variation in the material strength, the larger the object, the weaker the weakest points, decreasing the overall strength.

I'm a bit less sure on the first type for energetic size effect. It takes a beam undergoing bending, with a weaker region on the side undergoing tension due to microcracks. I think it argues that because that region can take on less stress, in order to provide the same internal moment, there must be a greater max stress. However, the derivation doesn't seem to make sense to me (I could go into more detail on that), and I was also wondering if it only applies for the specific situation of a bending beam with microcracks at the tensile region.

The second type seems to apply when a significant crack has already formed. I think it's arguing that as the beam is scaled up, the cracks scales as well. By understanding the relation between the change in surface energy and elastic energy you can show that a larger crack will fail at a lower stress. This seems essentially equivalent to the derivation of Griffith's Criterion. Are there significant differences, and would this also apply to a beam just undergoing uniaxial tension for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
person123 said:
I'm a bit less sure on the first type for energetic size effect. It takes a beam undergoing bending, with a weaker region on the side undergoing tension due to microcracks. I think it argues that because that region can take on less stress, in order to provide the same internal moment, there must be a greater max stress. However, the derivation doesn't seem to make sense to me (I could go into more detail on that), and I was also wondering if it only applies for the specific situation of a bending beam with microcracks at the tensile region.
Same consideration (of finite thickness of damage zone) is applicable for compression too. For example, cracks initiate in ring-shaped zone around entry point of rod forced into concrete, not only on rod surface.
person123 said:
The second type seems to apply when a significant crack has already formed. I think it's arguing that as the beam is scaled up, the cracks scales as well. By understanding the relation between the change in surface energy and elastic energy you can show that a larger crack will fail at a lower stress. This seems essentially equivalent to the derivation of Griffith's Criterion. Are there significant differences, and would this also apply to a beam just undergoing uniaxial tension for example?
That chapter of wikipedia article "size effect" is based on Bazant's law, which is extension of Irwin`'s equation for ductile materials which is derived from Griffith`s equation. The Griffith's equation itself is applicable only for brittle materials.

Likes Lnewqban

What is the "size effect" on structural strength?

The size effect on structural strength refers to the phenomenon where the strength of a material or structure changes as its size or scale changes. This means that a smaller version of a structure may have different strength properties compared to a larger version of the same structure.

How does the size effect impact the design of structures?

The size effect is an important consideration in the design of structures, as it can affect the safety and stability of the structure. Designers must take into account the size effect when determining the appropriate materials and dimensions for a structure in order to ensure its strength and durability.

What factors contribute to the size effect on structural strength?

There are several factors that can contribute to the size effect on structural strength, including the material properties, loading conditions, and geometric dimensions of the structure. These factors can all interact in complex ways to affect the overall strength of a structure.

How can the size effect be mitigated in structural design?

There are several strategies that can be used to mitigate the size effect in structural design. These include using materials with higher strength-to-weight ratios, incorporating reinforcement or bracing, and optimizing the geometry and dimensions of the structure to minimize the impact of the size effect.

What are some real-world examples of the size effect on structural strength?

The size effect on structural strength can be observed in many different structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. For example, a smaller bridge may have a different load-carrying capacity compared to a larger bridge made of the same materials. Similarly, a small-scale model of a building may not accurately predict the strength and stability of the actual building at full scale.