Size of a cube for a molecule of ideal gas

In summary: Ideal Gas Law, we can determine the side length of a cube containing ideal gas molecules at 0°C and 1 atm pressure. In summary, the side length is approximately 3.1 angstroms, with typical molecules being about 3-4 angstroms in size.
Karol

Homework Statement

The temperature of an ideal gas is 00C and the pressure is 1[atm]. imagine every molecule is enclosed in a cube, what's it's side length?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Avogadro's number: 6.023E23

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume volume of i liter:
$$1[atm]\cdot 1[liter]=n\cdot 0.08208\cdot 273\rightarrow n=0.0446[mole]$$
Molecules per 1 liter:
$$0.0446\cdot 6.023\cdot 10^{23}=2.687\cdot 10^{22}$$
How many molecules are on one side?
$$\sqrt[3]{2.687\cdot 10^{22}}=29951774$$
The length of a side:
$$\frac{10[cm]}{2995177}=3.34\cdot 10^{-7}[cm]$$
The answer in the book: 3E-7[cm]

Physics news on Phys.org
No specification of significant figures anywhere in the problem statement? Haven't checked your arithmetic in detail, but the set-up and execution looks great.

Thanks, that's what i asked

I always like to draw a picture of what the molecule in the box looks like when I teach this, to give students a sense of scale.

The box is about 30 Angstrom on a side. How big is a typical molecule? How big is the typical box for a liquid?

A bi atomic molecule is about 1[A] am i right? then the side is bigger 30 times more, but in the book it's written that's it's only 10 times larger.
The volume of one mole of water is 18[cm3]. Molecular weight 18:
$$\sqrt[3]{6.023\times 10^{23}}=84450901,\ \sqrt[3]{18}=2.62[cm]$$
$$\frac{2.62}{84450901}=31\times10^{-9}[cm]=31\times 10^{-11}[m]=3.1\times 10^{-10}[m]=3.1[Angstram]$$
Water molecule's size is about 1.5[A]

Water molecule is a bit bigger (diameter 2.75 A here); O-H centers are .94 Angstrom apart.

And here are a few other molecules. 3 to 4 A appears to be a good estimate

Last edited:
Thanks

1. What is the relationship between the size of a cube and the size of a molecule of ideal gas?

The size of a cube is not directly related to the size of a molecule of ideal gas. The size of a molecule depends on its molecular weight and atomic structure, while the size of a cube is determined by its dimensions.

2. How does the size of a cube affect the behavior of an ideal gas molecule?

The size of a cube does not directly affect the behavior of an ideal gas molecule. However, the size of a container can affect the behavior of a gas, as a smaller container may result in higher pressure due to more frequent collisions between molecules and the container walls.

3. Can the size of a cube be used to determine the size of an ideal gas molecule?

No, the size of a cube cannot be used to determine the size of an ideal gas molecule. The size of a molecule is determined by its molecular weight and structure, not by the size of the container it is in.

4. Is there an ideal size for a cube when studying the behavior of ideal gas molecules?

There is no ideal size for a cube when studying the behavior of ideal gas molecules. The size of the container should be chosen based on the specific experiment or study being conducted and may vary depending on the properties of the gas being studied.

5. How does the size of a cube relate to the amount of gas molecules in a system?

The size of a cube does not directly relate to the amount of gas molecules in a system. The amount of gas molecules is determined by the number of moles of gas present, not by the size of the container. However, a larger container may be necessary to hold a larger amount of gas molecules.