Sizes of kernels of homomorphisms

In summary, the problem is asking which is larger between the kernels of two group homomorphisms, $\ker(\beta\alpha)$ or $\ker(\alpha)$. Through analysis and using the properties of group homomorphisms, it is determined that $\ker(\beta\alpha)$ must be the larger set as it contains all elements in $\ker(\alpha)$.
kalish1
I have a problem that I have been stuck on for two hours. I would like to check if I have made any progress or I am just going in circles.

**Problem: Let $\alpha:G \rightarrow H, \beta:H \rightarrow K$ be group homomorphisms. Which is larger, $\ker(\beta\alpha)$ or $\ker(\alpha)$?**

**My work:** $\ker(\alpha)<G, \ker(\beta\alpha)<G, |G|=|\ker\alpha|*|im\alpha|=|\ker\beta|*|im\beta|$

$|G|=|\ker\alpha|[G:\ker\alpha]=|\ker\beta|[G:\ker\beta]$

$|im\alpha|$ divides $|G|$ and $|H|$

$|im\beta\alpha|$ divides $|G|$ and $|K|$

$|ker(\beta\alpha)|=\frac{|G|}{|im(\beta\alpha)|}, |ker(\alpha)|=\frac{|G|}{|im(\alpha)|}$

$\frac{|\ker(\beta\alpha)|}{|\ker\alpha|} \leq \frac{|H|}{|im(\beta\alpha)|}$

With similar analysis, I get $|\ker(\beta\alpha)| \geq \frac{|G|}{|K|}$ and $|\ker(\alpha)| \geq \frac{|G|}{|H|}$.

This seems like too much work with zero output.

Physics news on Phys.org
If $g \in \text{ker}(\alpha)$ then it is immediate that:

$\beta\alpha(g) = \beta(e_H) = e_K$, so that:

$g \in \text{ker}(\beta\alpha)$.

Hence it is obvious that all of $\text{ker}(\alpha)$ is contained within $\text{ker}(\beta\alpha)$, so the latter must be the larger set (it may the same set if $\beta$ is an isomorphism).

1. What is the significance of the size of kernels of homomorphisms?

The size of kernels of homomorphisms is important because it indicates the number of elements in the preimage of the identity element under the homomorphism. This, in turn, provides information about the structure and behavior of the homomorphism.

2. How is the size of kernels of homomorphisms calculated?

The size of kernels of homomorphisms can be calculated by finding the number of elements in the domain that map to the identity element in the codomain. This can be done by examining the elements in the kernel and counting them, or by using algebraic techniques such as the First Isomorphism Theorem.

3. Can the size of kernels of homomorphisms be negative?

No, the size of kernels of homomorphisms cannot be negative. It is always a positive integer or zero, representing the number of elements in the preimage of the identity element.

4. How does the size of kernels of homomorphisms relate to the concept of isomorphism?

The size of kernels of homomorphisms is closely related to the concept of isomorphism. In fact, two groups are isomorphic if and only if their homomorphisms have the same kernel size. This means that the size of kernels can help determine if two groups are isomorphic or not.

5. Can the size of kernels of homomorphisms change?

Yes, the size of kernels of homomorphisms can change depending on the specific homomorphism being considered. Different homomorphisms may have different kernel sizes, even for the same groups. Additionally, the size of kernels can also be affected by changes in the group structures or the homomorphism itself.