Sizing a CSTR for transesterification reaction

In summary, the conversation is about sizing a CSTR for the transesterification of tri-glycerides into methyl esters using methanol and NaOH as a catalyst. The reaction involves three reversible steps, with the species TG, DG, MG, and ME. The person is asking for help with sizing the CSTR since they know how to size a multi-step or reversible reaction CSTR but not a combination of the two.
Jack Thompson
Hi,

I need to size a CSTR for the transesterification of tri-glycerides into methyl esters (bio-diesel) by reaction with methanol and NaOH catalyst.

The transesterification reaction taken place in 3 reversible steps:
TG + CH3OH <--> DG + ME
DG + CH3OH <--> MG + ME
MG + CH3OH <--> C3H8O3 + ME

Where: TG = Triglyceride DG = Di-Glyceride MG = Monoglyceride ME = Methyl Esters

I have the reaction rate constants for each of the forward and reverse reactions, however, I'm stuck there.
I know how to size a multi-step CSTR or a reversible reaction CSTR but not a combination of the two.

Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's see your mass balance equations for all the species in the reactor

What is a CSTR?

A CSTR (Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor) is a type of chemical reactor that operates continuously and is used for homogeneous liquid-phase reactions. It consists of a tank with an agitator that mixes the reactants and allows for continuous product removal.

What is transesterification reaction?

Transesterification is a chemical reaction in which an ester is transformed into another ester by exchanging the alkyl or aryl group with another alcohol. It is commonly used in the production of biodiesel, where vegetable oils or animal fats are converted into fatty acid methyl esters.

Why is sizing a CSTR important for transesterification?

Properly sizing a CSTR is crucial for efficient and effective transesterification reactions. The size of the reactor affects the reaction rate, conversion, and selectivity of the process. An undersized reactor may result in low conversion and yield, while an oversized reactor can lead to excessive operating costs and energy consumption.

What factors should be considered when sizing a CSTR for transesterification?

The main factors to consider when sizing a CSTR for transesterification include the reaction kinetics, reactant concentrations, desired conversion and yield, and mass transfer limitations. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and agitation rate may also need to be taken into account.

How is a CSTR sized for transesterification?

The sizing of a CSTR for transesterification involves determining the reactor volume and residence time needed to achieve the desired conversion and yield. This can be done using mathematical models and experimental data, taking into consideration the factors mentioned above. Additionally, pilot-scale testing may be necessary to validate the chosen reactor size.

Back