Why Doesn't My Calculated Section Modulus Match Standard Wood Beam Sizes?

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the correct size of a wooden beam for a span of 24 feet with a tributary area of 10.5 feet and a total load value of 210psf. They have calculated the weight and moment for the total load and have a given Fb value of 1775. However, their calculated section modulus does not match the values on a standard chart for wood beam sizing. They are questioning whether they need to take into account the tributary area when determining the moment and are unsure if their calculated beam size of 4x14 is correct. They also mention the importance of stating units and having a clear presentation of information.
erinrcollins
The Section modulus of a beam that I compute does not match wood design tables to determine the correct size of the wood framing member. Can anyone offer some insight?

I have to size a wooden beam. The span is 24 feet with a tributary area of 10.5 feet. The dead load value is 85psf, the live load value is 125 psf, for a total value of 210psf. I was given an Fb value of 1775. It is a simple beam equally supported on both ends.

First I calculated the weight for the total load: (10.5 ft)(210) = 2205 lbs/sf

I calculated the Moment for the total load -- wL^2 / 8 = ((2205lb/ft )(24^2))/8 = 158,760 psf
Then I calculated the section modulus S=M/Fb = (158,760 lbft (12 inches)) / 1775

I am looking at a chart of wood beam sizing entitled Section Properties of Standard Dressed Sawn Lumber but the S value on the chart highest value is 874 in^3.

Am I correct in assuming you have to take into account the tributary area to determine the Moment? If I leave the tributary area out and just use the deal/live load of 210, I calculate a 4x14 beam. But I can't imagine that that is correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first place, how would you know if your answer was about right, or not? What would be the argument for leaving out the tributary area (or width, as I would prefer you called it?). In other words, are you thinking? I am confused by your sloppy presentation. Tributary "area" should be presumably tributary "width" with the units you have given it. You should always state your units, including for Fb. Your units for moment perhaps should be those of force x distance.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for a wooden beam?

To determine the appropriate size for a wooden beam, you will need to consider several factors including the span of the beam, the load it will support, and the type of wood being used. You can consult a span table or use a beam calculator to help you determine the proper size.

2. What is the load-bearing capacity of a wooden beam?

The load-bearing capacity of a wooden beam depends on its size, type of wood, and the span it will cover. It is important to consult a structural engineer or use a beam calculator to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

3. How do I know if a wooden beam is strong enough?

There are a few ways to determine if a wooden beam is strong enough for your project. You can calculate the load it will need to support and compare it to the beam's load-bearing capacity. You can also consult a structural engineer or use a beam calculator to ensure the beam is strong enough.

4. Can I use a smaller wooden beam if I add additional support?

In some cases, you may be able to use a smaller wooden beam if you add additional support such as columns or cross beams. However, it is important to consult a structural engineer to ensure the beam will still be able to support the intended load.

5. How do I know if a wooden beam is structurally sound?

To determine if a wooden beam is structurally sound, you should inspect it for any visible defects such as cracks, warping, or rot. You should also ensure the wood is of good quality and has been properly treated. If you have any doubts, it is best to consult a structural engineer for further evaluation.