Sketching charging and discharging of the capacitor

In summary, we discussed a simple circuit using a neon lamp and a capacitor to create a blinking light effect. The circuit charges from a 110V power supply and when the voltage across the capacitor reaches 75V, the neon lamp discharges the capacitor, creating a flash of orange light. The frequency of the flashes can be determined using the formula VC=VO(1-e-t/RC) and a graph of the voltage across the capacitor versus time would show a curved line for the charging phase and a steeper curve for the discharge phase. The charge phase would be asymptotic to the supply voltage and a dotted line could be added to show this.
shashaeee
A simple type of blinking light circuit can be constructed using a neon lamp. The circuit shown here has a 4.0 μF capacitor in parallel with a neon lamp. When the voltage is low in the RC portion of the circuit, the lamp does not conduct electricity. Therefore, it is effectively not there from an electrical point of view. The RC circuit will then charge from the 110 V power supply. However, when the voltage across the capacitor reaches 75 V, the neon will ionize very quickly and the neon lamp will become a very good conductor, and will immediately discharge the capacitor. The energy stored in the capacitor will be given off as a flash of orange light, making this a useful circuit. After the flash, the charging process will start once more since the voltage will again be low.

a. Determine the flash frequency with the resistance value shown.
b. Make a sketch of the voltage across the capacitor versus time in such a
circuit, showing several periods.

I used the formula:

VC=VO(1-e-t/RC)

and solved for t and frequency.

I'm more concern with the sketch. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So far, I have the t of the charging process. That means I have to solve the t of the discharging process using the formula:

VC=VOe-t/RC

so then my graph can look like: / (charging) \ (discharging) / (charging) \ (discharging) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch a graph of e-t then 1-e-t

Hint: The charge part of the curve is not a straight line.

Thanks for your reply!

So just an idea of putting it together, is it something like this?
physics7.jpg

(Rough sketch) I know it should be curved lines lol

Yes but you only need show one cycle. I would also label the part of the waveform that obeys..

VC=VO(1-e-t/RC)

Perhaps add a dotted line to show the charge phase is asymptotic to the supply voltage.

Perhaps show the discharge phase to be more obviously steeper than the charge phase.

Yes, your sketch is correct. The graph should show a repeating pattern of the capacitor charging and discharging, with each cycle starting at 0 volts and reaching a peak of 110 volts during the charging process, and a peak of 75 volts during the discharging process. The frequency of the flashing light can be determined by dividing the time for one full cycle (charging + discharging) by the number of cycles per second.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

2. How does a capacitor charge and discharge?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, it charges up to its maximum capacity. As the voltage across the capacitor increases, the flow of current decreases until it reaches zero. Once the capacitor is fully charged, it can then discharge its stored energy when connected to a circuit. The current flows in the opposite direction, causing the voltage across the capacitor to decrease until it reaches zero again.

3. What factors affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge and discharge depends on its capacitance, the voltage applied, and the resistance of the circuit. A higher capacitance will result in a longer charging and discharging time, while a higher voltage or lower resistance will decrease the time.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC charging and discharging of a capacitor?

In AC (alternating current) circuits, the voltage applied to a capacitor changes direction periodically, causing the capacitor to constantly charge and discharge. In DC (direct current) circuits, the voltage remains constant, resulting in a one-time charging and discharging of the capacitor.

5. How is the charging and discharging of a capacitor represented graphically?

A graph of the voltage across a capacitor over time during charging and discharging forms a curve known as an exponential decay or growth curve. The curve starts at zero, rises quickly at first, and then gradually levels off as the capacitor reaches its maximum charge. When discharging, the curve starts at the maximum voltage and gradually decreases towards zero. This curve is often used to analyze and predict the behavior of capacitors in circuits.