Sketching Waveforms to represent Transient Responses

In summary, the person is unsure about the question and is struggling to understand the topic of sketching waveforms. They have found some helpful resources on the Physics Forums website, including a conversation that may provide some assistance. They mention that the equation 'b' has twice the frequency as the other two and they are having trouble understanding this concept with their course notes and tutor. They are open to any help that can be provided.
Morgz129
Homework Statement
sketch, on a set of common axes, the waveforms to represent the transient response of circuits having transfer functions with the following parameters:

a) ζ = 0.5, ω = 1×10^3 rad s^-1
b) ζ = 0.2, ω = 2×10^3 rad s^-1
c) ζ = 2, ω = 1×10^3 rad s^-1
Relevant Equations
unsure
i am completely unsure on what is being asked by this question. i know the word sketch suggests a rough drawing and google shows up roughly what the waveforms should look like but what's thrown me off is the fact that the equation 'b' has twice the frequency as the other two. this is a topic that i am really struggling to grasp with my course notes not so good and my tutor slightly less than useless so any assistance would be greatly received.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a transient response?

A transient response is the change in a system's output as a result of a sudden change in input. It is a temporary response that occurs before the system reaches its steady state.

2. Why is it important to sketch waveforms to represent transient responses?

Sketching waveforms allows us to visually represent the changes in the system's output over time, making it easier to analyze and understand the transient response. It also helps in identifying any potential issues or instabilities in the system.

3. How can we sketch waveforms to represent transient responses?

To sketch waveforms, we first need to identify the input signal and the system's response to it. Then, we plot the input and output signals on a graph, with time on the x-axis and the signal amplitude on the y-axis. We can also use a computer program or simulation software to generate the waveforms.

4. What are some common types of waveforms used to represent transient responses?

The most common types of waveforms used are step, ramp, and impulse functions. A step function represents a sudden change in input, a ramp function represents a gradual change, and an impulse function represents a short burst of input.

5. How can sketching waveforms help in designing and troubleshooting systems?

Sketching waveforms can help in designing and troubleshooting systems by providing a visual representation of the system's response to different inputs. This allows us to identify any potential issues or instabilities and make necessary adjustments to improve the system's performance.