Skier, curved motion on slope/ reaction force?

In summary, the conversation is about a question from an old physics olympiad that asked about minimizing the reaction force of a skier as she takes a curved path down a ski-slope. The person sharing the conversation has been thinking about the concept and has made some notes, but is looking for input and assistance with fully understanding the mechanics involved. They mention that when the skier turns downhill, they want gravity to provide all the centripetal force to minimize the ground reaction.
Glenn G
upload_2017-3-29_21-34-13.png

Hi folks,
I was thinking about an old physics olympiad question I read. Can't remember exactly but it was about minimising the reaction force of a skier as she took a curved path down a ski-slope. That got me thinking generally about what is going on with the reaction force in such a situation.
I got as far as some of my scribblings in the picture above (by first thinking about her just moving directly down the slope). I then realized my mechanics was not good enough to work out what was really going on.
Would really appreciate any input/help.
Glenn

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
Can't remember exactly but it was about minimising the reaction force of a skier as she took a curved path down a ski-slope.
When you go perpendicular to the slope while turning downhill, you want gravity to provide all the centripetal force, to minimize the ground reaction.

Related to Skier, curved motion on slope/ reaction force?

1. What is curved motion on a slope?

Curved motion on a slope refers to the path a skier takes while skiing down a hill or mountain. It is characterized by a change in direction, or curvature, as the skier moves down the slope.

2. How does a skier maintain balance while making curved turns?

A skier maintains balance while making curved turns by shifting their weight and angling their skis in the direction they want to turn. This allows the skier to control their speed and direction while navigating the slope.

3. What is the reaction force in skier's curved motion on a slope?

The reaction force in a skier's curved motion on a slope is the force exerted by the surface of the slope on the skier's skis. This force helps the skier maintain their momentum and direction while skiing.

4. How does the steepness of the slope affect a skier's curved motion?

The steepness of the slope can affect a skier's curved motion in a few ways. A steeper slope will require the skier to make sharper turns, which can increase the speed of the skier. It can also affect the amount of friction between the skis and the slope, potentially making it more difficult to maintain control.

5. What are some safety tips for skiers when making curved turns on a slope?

Some safety tips for skiers when making curved turns on a slope include maintaining a controlled speed, being aware of other skiers on the slope, and using proper turning techniques. It is also important to always wear appropriate safety gear, such as a helmet, and to follow all posted signs and warnings on the slope.