Skin temperature increase due to radiation absorption

In summary, the skin temperature would increase by about 0.3oC when illuminated by 1000W/m^2 of radiation.
fog37
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much the human skin temperature would increase when the skin is illuminated by radiation of a certain intensity (W/m^2). We can assume that the skin has an emissivity and absorptivity both equal to 1. For instance, imagine the skin illuminated by the sun (I= 1000W/m^2) or by another radiation source..
We know the initial temperature of the skin and the intensity of the incident radiation.

What equation would I use?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
You have poked on the Intermediate Level.
Are you familiar with the Stefan-Boltzmann law?
The Stefan–Boltzmann law states that the power emitted per unit area of the surface of a black body is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature
Prad = σ T4

Likes jim mcnamara
fog37 said:
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much the human skin temperature would increase when the skin is illuminated by radiation of a certain intensity (W/m^2). We can assume that the skin has an emissivity and absorptivity both equal to 1. For instance, imagine the skin illuminated by the sun (I= 1000W/m^2) or by another radiation source..
We know the initial temperature of the skin and the intensity of the incident radiation.

Thanks!
Interesting question.
I worked out a similar problem for a black rock about 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember how I did it, nor do I know whether or not my answer was correct.

I would recommend looking at the wiki entry on "Black-body radiation", subsection "Human body emission".
It may not give you the answer, but it has a couple of equations that will get you started:
Pnet = Pemit - Pabsorb
and
Pnet = Aσε(T4 - T04)

A is body surface area
T is body surface temperature
ε is body emissivity
T0 is the ambient temperature
σ is the Stefan–Boltzmann constant​

Of course, your problem is a bit more complicated, as rocks don't sweat.

Likes jim mcnamara
The heat that the skin absorbs is continuously being transferred away with the blood flow through the capillary veins in the skin, so this can't be calculated as a simple radiative transfer problem.

1. What is skin temperature increase due to radiation absorption?

Skin temperature increase due to radiation absorption refers to the phenomenon where the skin's temperature rises as a result of absorbing radiation from a source.

2. What types of radiation can cause an increase in skin temperature?

Various forms of radiation can cause an increase in skin temperature, including ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, infrared (IR) radiation from heat sources, and ionizing radiation from sources such as X-rays or radioactive materials.

3. How does the skin absorb radiation?

The skin absorbs radiation through a process called thermal radiation, where energy is transferred from one object to another through electromagnetic waves. The skin's absorption of this radiation can cause a rise in temperature.

4. What are some factors that can affect skin temperature increase due to radiation absorption?

Several factors can influence the skin's temperature increase due to radiation absorption, such as the intensity and duration of the radiation exposure, the distance from the radiation source, and the individual's skin type and sensitivity to radiation.

5. Can an increase in skin temperature due to radiation absorption have harmful effects?

Yes, an increase in skin temperature due to radiation absorption can have harmful effects, especially if the exposure is prolonged or intense. This can lead to skin damage, sunburn, and even an increased risk of skin cancer. It is important to protect the skin from excessive radiation exposure.