Skyhook - is this better then space elevator?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of using a space elevator to launch payloads into orbit, with a suggestion of using a shorter cable from a heavy mass to a hook that would spin around an asteroid in the opposite direction of the Earth's rotation. This could potentially make it easier and cheaper to launch payloads into space, with the added benefit of being able to use aircraft to attach the payloads to the hook. Other theoretical ideas, such as Lofstrom Loops, were also mentioned as potential alternatives.
Algr
Hi Physics Forum!

I've been reading about the space elevator and the amazing feat of running a cable past geosynchronous orbit. It occurred to me that there might be an easier way. I may have heard about this somewhere ages ago, or maybe I made it up, but I haven't been able to find any info about it.

What if instead of running the cable to geosynchronous orbit, you had one that was about 150-200 Km long, that ran from a heavy mass like a small captured asteroid, to a hook? An object at that altitude would be orbiting much faster then the rotation of the earth, so instead of letting the cable hang down, it would spin the hook around the asteroid in the opposite direction of the Earth's rotation. Thus the speed of the hook could be adjusted so that when it enters the Earth's atmosphere it is moving at roughly the speed of the Earth's surface. (See illustration)

When viewed from the Earth, the hook would appear to enter the atmosphere at a steep angle, come to a nearly complete stop at about 15 km altitude, and then rise back into space.

(Is it proper to call the hook's path an "orbit"? It is more like a ball on a string, with centrifugal force pulling against the cable.)

You could then use aircraft to fly to the hook and attach payloads to it. The hook would lift the payloads into space, and then release them at high speed and altitude. The payloads would still need rockets to reach a stable orbit, but they would not need remotely as much fuel as a liftoff from earth.

Payloads returning to Earth could attach themselves to the hook, and be gently slowed down and lowered into the atmosphere. This would return kinetic energy to the asteroid, keeping it at the desired altitude.

I think you'd need to lift the asteroid from time to time. But since the asteroid is already in space, solar sails, ion drive, or laser boosts from Earth might do the trick.

Attachments

• Skyhook.jpg
    Skyhook.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,631
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Skyhooks as you have described do already exist as theoretical ideas. An advantage over rocket launches is that instead of a non-reusable rocket a high altitude plane is needed and advantages over space elevators include being (potentially) cheaper and easier to avoid debris. However the disadvantages are that such a tether would only launch to low orbit (perhaps this could be mitigated by giving the payload an ion drive that boosts the orbit over a couple of months?), every time such a device boosts something into orbit it's own orbit would decrease and the tethers would produce (albeit small) drag slowing down the spin.

The NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts have worked up an idea called http://www.spaceelevator.com/docs/355Bogar.pdf that you may be interested to read about, though I warn you it is a pretty comprehensive and long document. For potentially advantages/disadvantages page A1-14 goes over some issues with the implementation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ak! Google has failed me! (I just got stuff about cell phones and software.) Oh well. The wikipedia article could use some better illustrations though. Maybe I'll tweak mine up. Any suggestions?

Algr said:
Ak! Google has failed me! (I just got stuff about cell phones and software.) Oh well. The wikipedia article could use some better illustrations though. Maybe I'll tweak mine up. Any suggestions?

I would suggest flicking through relevant sections of the NASA article linked above, they've done a lot of work there on the topic. I agree the wiki page needs updating. You might also be interested to read about Lofstrom Loops another megascale contender for launching to space.

EDIT: A thought occurred to me that your design may have too many tethers, The one in the atmosphere will move slightly slower than the ones not in atmosphere (thanks to drag) and so may cause instabilities. This is probably why the NASA design has only one tether.

Last edited:
Oh. I meant for that to be the same tether at different points in time. Maybe an animated gif would help.

1. What is a skyhook and how does it work?

A skyhook is a hypothetical space transportation system that involves using a rotating cable attached to an orbiting object in space to capture and release payloads, such as spacecrafts or satellites. The cable would be attached to a ground station on Earth, and as the orbiting object rotates, it would pass over the ground station and release the payload onto the Earth's surface. The rotation of the cable would provide the necessary velocity for the payload to enter into orbit.

2. How does a skyhook compare to a space elevator?

A skyhook and a space elevator are both types of space transportation systems, but they operate in different ways. A space elevator is a stationary cable that extends from the Earth's surface to a counterweight in space, and payloads are transported along the cable using climbers. A skyhook, on the other hand, involves an orbiting cable that captures and releases payloads using its rotational velocity. Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages, and which one is better depends on the specific needs and goals of the mission.

3. Is a skyhook more cost-effective than a space elevator?

The cost-effectiveness of a skyhook compared to a space elevator is a complex question to answer. Both systems require significant upfront investment and ongoing maintenance costs. However, a skyhook may be more cost-effective in terms of launch costs, as it can use existing launch vehicles to place payloads into orbit. On the other hand, a space elevator may have lower operational costs once it is fully constructed, as it would not require the use of launch vehicles for each payload.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a skyhook for space transportation?

One of the main benefits of a skyhook is its potential for reusable space transportation. The orbiting cable and ground station could be used repeatedly to capture and release payloads, reducing the need for new launch vehicles for each mission. It may also be more efficient in terms of fuel and energy usage compared to traditional rocket launches. Additionally, a skyhook could potentially allow for larger and heavier payloads to be transported into space.

5. Are there any technical challenges that need to be overcome for a skyhook to be a viable option for space transportation?

Yes, there are several technical challenges that need to be addressed for a skyhook to be a viable option for space transportation. These include developing materials strong enough to withstand the stresses of rotation and weight, ensuring the cable can withstand the harsh conditions of space, and finding a way to control and stabilize the orbiting cable. Additionally, the ground station would need to be able to accurately time the release of payloads to ensure they enter into the desired orbit.