Slenderness ratio, mode of failure

In summary, the column must be at least 5.94 meters long in order for buckling to occur. If the column is half the length, failure will occur at a load of 307876.08 Newtons.
Jayohtwo

Homework Statement

Hi guys (first post here let me know if I can fix anything that I've done wrong),

I'm struggling a little with the second part of this question and seem to be going round in circles
upload_2015-10-26_15-10-26.png

A column has the dimensions shown in the diagram below.
(a) What is the minimum length of the column at which buckling is
likely to occur?
(b) If the column is the length determined in (a),
(i) What will be the mode of failure?
(ii) At what load would you expect failure to occur?
(c) If the column is half the length determined in (a) :
(i) What will be the mode of failure?
(ii) At what load would you expect failure to occur?

Homework Equations

A = 8.796x10-3 m2
I = 2.199x10-5 m4
K = 0.05 (least value of radius of gyration)
Slenderness ratio (using length not effective length unsure if this is correct) = 237.4

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a: I have determined the effective length to be 5.94m as the column is fixed at both ends and Le=L/2

Part b: Here's where my google skills fall short and I'm not sure how to determine what failure mode. I've also calculated the effective slenderness ratio using ESR = √(π2E)/(σ) = 118.74.
As this is less then the slenderness ratio does this mean that the failure mode is crushing?

Part c: Will be straightforward enough to solve when I can figure ou how to do part b

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the effective length is as calculated, what is the minimum length of the column for buckling to occur?

Has this exact same problem has been discussed previously on PF ?

Nidum said:
Has this exact same problem has been discussed previously on PF ?
Yes it has but the thread had died about 2 years ago and only the first part of the question was discussed. I'll put some more work into this question later today and see if I can come to a conclusion.

I've gone back over the question and noticed I've used diameter instead of radius for area so A= 2.199x10-3 m2
this makes Le = 2.96 m and L = 5.93 m and this seems to be the minimum length that buckling will occur.

Part b: Failure mode is buckling (not 100% on this)
ii: Failure Load Fc = σcA=307876.08 N

Part c: if min length for buckling was 5.94 failure mode will be crushing (again not 100% certain)
ii: Failure load for 1/2 length Fc = π2EI/Le2 = 1234601.72 N

I am not sure how you arrived at your numbers for I and A etc but aside from the math, your approach for finding the minimum length is correct, above which failure is likely by buckling and below which failure would be by crushing or yielding. But you should check again about the failure load if the column was halved...your answer assumes buckling is the failure load, so recheck that...

I got my answer for I and A using :

I = (D4 - d4)π/64
= (0.084 - 0.064)π/64
= 1.37x10-6 m4

A = π(R2 - r2)
= π(0.042 - 0.032)
= 2.199 x10 -3 m2

I'll recheck my notes later today and read up on the failure modes.

Hi I am on the same question and its not very clear I don't think. I am finding the units are tricky. How do you work out if it will buckle or crush ?

1. What is the slenderness ratio and how is it calculated?

The slenderness ratio is a measure of the ratio of a structural member's length to its cross-sectional dimension. It is calculated by dividing the length of the member by its least lateral dimension.

2. What is the significance of the slenderness ratio in structural design?

The slenderness ratio is an important factor in determining the stability of a structural member. A higher slenderness ratio indicates a higher risk of buckling or failure under compressive loads.

3. How does the mode of failure differ between slender and stocky structural members?

In slender members, failure is often due to buckling caused by compressive forces exceeding the member's critical buckling load. In stocky members, failure typically occurs through yielding or fracture due to excessive tensile or compressive stress.

4. Can the slenderness ratio be used to determine the strength of a structural member?

No, the slenderness ratio alone cannot determine the strength of a structural member. Other factors such as material properties, loading conditions, and cross-sectional shape must also be considered in determining the member's strength.

5. How can the slenderness ratio be optimized in structural design?

The slenderness ratio can be optimized by selecting a cross-sectional shape and material that can withstand the expected loads and minimize the risk of buckling. Increasing the member's cross-sectional area or reducing its length can also help to decrease the slenderness ratio. Finite element analysis can also be used to determine the optimal slenderness ratio for a specific structural design.