Slightly off on the answer to a problem, but why?

• Thread starter Brianjw
  • Start date
In summary, two friends are carrying a crate of mass 200 kg up a flight of stairs with dimensions 1.25 m in length and 0.50 m in height. The crate is carried at a 45.0 angle and the force each person applies is vertical. The magnitude of the upper person's force is 588N and the magnitude of the force applied by the bottom person is 1370N. To calculate these values, one must use the balance of forces and torques equations, as shown in the given equations.
Brianjw
Two friends are carrying a crate of mass 200 kg up a flight of stairs. The crate has length 1.25 m and height 0.50 m, and its center of gravity is at its center. The stairs make a 45.0 angle with respect to the floor. The crate also is carried at an 45.0 angle , so that its bottom side is parallel to the slope of the stairs . The force each person applies is vertical.

What is the magnitude of the upper person's force?

I keep getting 1176, but the answer is supposed to be 588 which is just half of my answer?

Also, for the next question:

What is the magnitude of the force applied by the bottom person?

I'm not able to get the 1370N that's its supposed to be, I'm trying to use the sum of the torques about the point of F2 which is the upper person's force, and that doesn't seem to work

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm.. you must have made a mistake in your torque equation about the top person.
Using "t" and "b" as subscripts for the persons, [tex]\theta[/tex] as the angle to the horizontal, "l" as the length, "h" as the height, "m" for the mass, "g" as the acceleration due to gravity, [tex]\vec{t}[/tex] as the unit tangent along the bottom side, [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] as the unit normal, we have the following relations:
[tex]\vec{t}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{n}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{k}=\sin\theta\vec{t}+\cos\theta\vec{n}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{n}\times\vec{t}=\vec{j}[/tex]
Balance of forces:
[tex]F_{b}+F_{t}=mg[/tex]
Balance of torques about the top person:
[tex]-l\vec{t}\times{F}_{b}\vec{k}+(-\frac{l}{2}\vec{t}+\frac{h}{2}\vec{n})\times(-mg\vec{k})=\vec{0}[/tex]

This should give you the correct answers.

It's possible that your calculations are slightly off due to rounding errors or incorrect assumptions. It's important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas and values. It's also possible that the answer given may have a typo or mistake. It's always a good idea to double check with a peer or instructor to verify the correct answer. As for the next question, it's important to remember that the force applied by the bottom person is not just the sum of the torques, but also includes the weight of the crate and the force applied by the upper person. Make sure to account for all forces acting on the crate in your calculations. Keep practicing and don't be discouraged, sometimes it takes a few tries to get the correct answer.

Related to Slightly off on the answer to a problem, but why?

1. Why did my experiment result in a slightly different answer than expected?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to errors in measurement or data collection, variations in experimental conditions, or the presence of uncontrolled variables. It is important to carefully analyze and troubleshoot your experiment to identify the source of the discrepancy.

2. How can I prevent getting a slightly off answer in my experiments?

To minimize the chances of getting a slightly off answer, it is important to carefully design and plan your experiment, use precise and calibrated equipment, and control for all possible variables. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency in results.

3. Can a slightly off answer still be considered accurate?

It depends on the magnitude of the difference and the level of precision required for your experiment. If the difference is within an acceptable margin of error, then the answer can still be considered accurate. However, if the difference is significant, it may be necessary to investigate further and make adjustments to the experiment.

4. How do I know if my slightly off answer is due to experimental error or a new discovery?

This can be a difficult question to answer and may require further investigation. It is important to carefully analyze your data and consider all possible explanations for the slightly off answer. If the discrepancy cannot be explained by experimental error and is supported by other evidence, it may indicate a new discovery or a need to revise existing theories.

5. How can I communicate a slightly off answer to others in the scientific community?

If you have identified the source of the discrepancy and have evidence to support your findings, you can communicate your results through a research paper, conference presentation, or collaboration with other scientists. It is important to clearly explain the reasons for the slightly off answer and its implications for future research in the field.