Moments Problem -- 2 friends carrying a crate up a flight of stairs

In summary, two friends are carrying a 200kg crate up a flight of stairs at a 45 degree angle. The crate is 1.25m long and 0.500m high with a center of gravity at its center. The force of each person is vertical and the magnitude of each force is 590N for the bottom force and 1370N for the top force. The incorrect assumption that the box was horizontal led to incorrect moment arms for the moment equation. The moment arms must be measured parallel to the horizontal, taking into account the 45 degree angle of the stairs.
RyanUSF
Two friends are carrying a 200kg crate up a flight of stairs. The crate is 1.25m long and 0.500m high and its center of gravity is at its center. The stairs make a 45 degree angle with respect to the floor. The crate is also at a 45 degree angle so the bottom side of crate is parallel to the slope of stairs. If the force of each person is vertical, what is the magnitude of each force?∑Fy = F1 + F2 - m*g = 0The attached picture is my attempt at the solution however the two forces I get are wrong. The bottom force according to my physics textbook is 590N and the top force is 1370N. If someone could tell me where in my solution I mess up it would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you wrote your moment equation to calculate the unknown lifting force, you assumed that the box was horizontal, which gave you a moment arm for the forward force of 1.25 m relative to the rear of the box. This is incorrect. The box is being carried up the stairs such that it makes an angle of 45 degrees with the horizontal (the same angle the stairs make). You have to calculate the moment arms for the moment equation accordingly.

SteamKing said:
When you wrote your moment equation to calculate the unknown lifting force, you assumed that the box was horizontal, which gave you a moment arm for the forward force of 1.25 m relative to the rear of the box. This is incorrect. The box is being carried up the stairs such that it makes an angle of 45 degrees with the horizontal (the same angle the stairs make). You have to calculate the moment arms for the moment equation accordingly.
Since the box is parallel to the stairs though I thought I could assume the box was horizontal. How would I implement the 45 degrees into my calculation of the moment?

Well, you could make a sketch like you did in the first part of your posted solution, to find the location of the center of the box.

Didn't I include the 45° though when I found the total angle from the horizontal (45°) and the moment angle (21.8°) which was 66.8°?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 958
Yeah, but if you sketch the box canted at a 45 degree angle and locate the forces applied by the two guys carrying the box, you'll see that the distances between the ends of the box and the center are shortened when measured relative to the horizontal. Since the weight of the box is normal to the horizontal, and the support forces are applied vertically according to the OP, it should be readily apparent that the moment arms must be measured parallel to the horizon as well.

IOW, the 1.25 m length of the box is true only when you measure the length of the box at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal.

What is the "Moments Problem"?

The "Moments Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the force needed to lift an object up a flight of stairs. In this scenario, two friends are carrying a crate up a flight of stairs, and the problem involves determining the force each person needs to exert in order to lift the crate without it falling back down the stairs.

What are the key factors in solving the "Moments Problem"?

The key factors in solving the "Moments Problem" are the weight of the crate, the angle of the stairs, and the distance between the two friends carrying the crate. These factors determine the force needed from each person to successfully lift the crate up the stairs.

How does the angle of the stairs affect the "Moments Problem"?

The angle of the stairs is an important factor in the "Moments Problem" because it affects the amount of force needed to lift the crate. The steeper the angle of the stairs, the greater the force required from each person to overcome the force of gravity pulling the crate back down the stairs.

What is the difference between a moment and a force in the "Moments Problem"?

In the "Moments Problem", a moment refers to the turning effect of a force, while a force is a push or pull on an object. In order to solve the problem, both the force and the moment must be taken into account, as they both play a role in lifting the crate up the stairs.

How can the "Moments Problem" be applied in real-life situations?

The "Moments Problem" can be applied in real-life situations, such as when moving furniture up a flight of stairs or carrying heavy objects with a partner. It can also be used in engineering and construction, where calculating the forces and moments involved in lifting and moving objects is crucial for safety and efficiency.