Lambda96
Homework Statement
Write ##h(r)=H## as ##y(H,x)##

and

Calculate steepest and flattest slope with ##|| \nabla h(r) ||##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi

I am not quite sure if I have calculated the whole task correctly, since I am not sure whether I have solved task e correctly and unfortunately have problems with task f

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-12 um 15.44.42.png

The function h(r) looks like this ##h(r)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}+1##

I got the following for the gradient

##\nabla h(r)=\left(\begin{array}{c} -\frac{x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \\ - \frac{xy}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \end{array}\right)##

and the plot for contour lines looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-12 um 12.13.22.png

##\textbf{Task e}##

I then solved the equation ##h(r)=H## for y as follows ##y(H,x)= \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{(H-1)^2}-x^2}## The shape of the contour lines in the first square are all straight lines

I could only see that they are straight lines from the contour lines plot and not from the equation above, did I calculate y(H,x) incorrectly?

##\textbf{Task f}##

The amount of the gradient should be calculated as follows

##|| \nabla h(r) ||=\sqrt{\biggl( -\frac{x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \biggr)^2 + \biggl( -\frac{xy}{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \biggr)^2}##

and then got the following

##|| \nabla h(r) ||= \sqrt{\frac{y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}}##

For the steepest and flattest slope, I have to insert the points into the above equation where the gradient is zero, so ##\nabla h(r)= \left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ \end{array}\right)## I have calculated these points with mathematica and if I have not made a mistake, unfortunately only complex solutions come out

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-12 um 16.25.08.png

Have I made a mistake in calculating the steepest or flattest ascent or can I only do this with ##|| \nabla h(r) ||##?

Physics news on Phys.org
In polar coordinates [itex]x = r \cos \theta, y = r \sin \theta[/itex] for [itex]-\pi \leq \theta < \pi[/itex] we have [tex]h(r, \theta) = 1 + \cos \theta.[/tex] It follows that [tex]\nabla h = -\frac{\sin \theta}{r}\mathbf{e}_\theta = - \frac{y}{r^2}(-y/r, x/r)^T[/tex] and [tex]\|\nabla h\| = \frac{|\sin \theta|}{r} = \frac{|y|}{x^2 + y^2}.[/tex] This is zero whenever [itex]y = 0[/itex] (and is undefined at the origin).

I suspect the fact that [itex]\nabla h[/itex] has degenerate (ie, non-isolated) zeros is confusing whatever algorithm Mathematica is using to solve [itex]\nabla h = 0[/itex]. Think before you compute!

Likes Lambda96
Thank you pasmith for your help 👍

Where the gradient is zero, there is either a maximum and minimum, the magnitude of the gradient is then also zero.

As you have already written, this would be the case for ##y=0##. If I now insert ##y=0## into the equation ##h(r)##, I get ##h(x,0)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2}}+1## and is either zero for ##x<0## or 2 for ##x>0##

So the steepest slope would be 2 and the flattest 0

Lambda96 said:

Where the gradient is zero, there is either a maximum and minimum, the magnitude of the gradient is then also zero.

As you have already written, this would be the case for ##y=0##. If I now insert ##y=0## into the equation ##h(r)##, I get ##h(x,0)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2}}+1## and is either zero for ##x<0## or 2 for ##x>0##

So the steepest slope would be 2 and the flattest 0

"Steepest slope" is where the magnitude of the gradient is maximal, and "flattest slope" is where the magnitude of the gradient is minimal. You can see from my earlier post that [itex]\|\nabla h\|[/itex] increases without limit as [itex]r \to 0[/itex] for [itex]y \neq 0[/itex] and is zero when [itex]y = 0[/itex].

Likes Lambda96
pasmith said:
This is zero whenever y=0 (and is undefined at the origin).
Do you mean "(except that it is undefined at the origin)"?

What is the slope of a mountain ridge?

The slope of a mountain ridge refers to the steepness or incline of the terrain as it ascends or descends along the ridge. It is typically measured as the vertical rise divided by the horizontal distance, expressed as a percentage or in degrees.

How is the slope of a mountain ridge calculated?

The slope of a mountain ridge can be calculated by measuring the vertical change in elevation between two points along the ridge and dividing it by the horizontal distance between those points. This ratio provides the gradient or slope of the ridge.

What factors influence the slope of a mountain ridge?

The slope of a mountain ridge is influenced by various factors such as the type of rock or soil composition, tectonic forces that shape the landscape, erosion processes, and the overall geology of the region. Additionally, the angle of repose of the material making up the ridge can also affect its slope.

Why is the slope of a mountain ridge important?

The slope of a mountain ridge is important for various reasons, including its impact on erosion and sediment transport, water drainage patterns, vegetation distribution, and the overall stability of the terrain. Understanding the slope of a mountain ridge is crucial for assessing potential hazards such as landslides and rockfalls.

How does the slope of a mountain ridge affect wildlife and ecosystems?

The slope of a mountain ridge can significantly influence the distribution of wildlife and ecosystems. Steeper slopes may provide habitat for species adapted to such conditions, while gentler slopes may support different types of vegetation and wildlife. Changes in slope gradient can also affect the movement and migration patterns of animals in mountainous regions.