Small question about atomic form factor calculation

In summary, the task is to find an atomic form factor for an arbitrary basis atom in a bravais lattice, where the electron wave function has a dependence on the Bohr radius in an exponential. The form factor is calculated using a long integral that simplifies nicely in the end. The limiting values of the form factor are then requested when the wavelength of light used is much larger or smaller than the Bohr radius. The formula relating the scattering angle, wavelength of light, and magnitude of the arbitrary reciprocal lattice vector is also used to calculate the form factor. The original solution was to approximate the form factor as 1 when the wavelength is much larger than the Bohr radius and as 0 when the wavelength is much smaller than the Bohr
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

This problem just has me find an atomic form factor for some arbitrary basis atom in a bravais lattice where the electron wave function is given (it has a dependence on the Bohr radius in an exponential). I calculated the form factor (a very long, nasty integral that actually simplified nicely in the end), and then I am asked to find the limiting values of the form factor when the wavelength of light used is much larger than the Bohr radius, and when the wavelength is much smaller than the Bohr radius.

Homework Equations

The form factor I calculated:
16/((4+(a*G)2)2) where G is the magnitude of the arbitrary reciprocal lattice vector (RLV) and a is the Bohr radius.
I plugged in the formula relating the scattering angle, the wavelength of light, and the RLV magnitude:
G=sin(theta)*4pi/(lambda).

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally worked through these two parts pretty fast; I thought as lambda gets much larger than the Bohr radius, then a/lambda will just be approximately zero and the form factor would end up being 1.
Similarly, when lambda is much smaller than the Bohr radius, a/lambda would get really large making the denominator of the form factor really large and then it would be approximately zero.

Now I'm second guessing myself because the problem statement asks if the form factor limiting values have any dependence on the scattering angle. I feel like she wouldn't have asked that unless one of the limiting values did.
So I'm just going to ask for some opinions, do you guys think that a problem like this would warrant a taylor expansion on the form factor formula I have? For both cases, or just one of them, and why?
To be clear, the problem just only said "as a>>lambda" and "as a<<lambda". That always seems really vague to me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is the atomic form factor?

The atomic form factor is a mathematical function that describes the scattering of x-rays or other particles by an atom. It takes into account the size, shape, and electron distribution of the atom.

2. How is the atomic form factor calculated?

The atomic form factor is calculated using a complex mathematical formula that takes into account the atomic number, electron density, and other parameters of the atom. It is typically calculated using computer programs or specialized software.

3. What is the significance of the atomic form factor in scientific research?

The atomic form factor is important in understanding the structure of atoms and molecules. It is used in x-ray crystallography to determine the positions of atoms in a crystal lattice and in scattering experiments to study the properties of materials at the atomic level.

4. Can the atomic form factor be experimentally measured?

Yes, the atomic form factor can be experimentally measured using x-ray or neutron scattering techniques. However, the experimental values may not always match the calculated values due to factors such as experimental error or deviations from ideal conditions.

5. How does the atomic form factor vary for different types of atoms?

The atomic form factor varies for different types of atoms due to differences in their electron distributions and atomic structures. Heavier atoms with more electrons tend to have higher atomic form factors, while lighter atoms with fewer electrons have lower atomic form factors.