Smaller droplet creation by ultrasonic humidifiers

In summary, ZacharyM suggests adding surfactants such as soap or detergents to the water in order to decrease its surface tension and potentially reduce the droplet size in the mist created by an ultrasonic humidifier. However, some manuals caution against using soap as it may inhibit mist production. Arnoke plans to test this method and will update on the results.
arnoke
Hi all,

For a science project, I'm using mist, created by an ultrasonic humidifier.
An ultrasonic humidifier uses a membrane that vibrates at ultrasonic frequency to disperse water into tiny droplets, resulting in a cool mist.

Now I was wondering; is there a way to reduce the droplet size by adding something to the water? I really don't know much about chemistry but I would guess the droplet size depends on the viscosity or maybe the surface tension of the fluid?

ps. The mist can be contained, and does not necessarily have to be used in an open room, so no health risks here.

Tnx a lot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Arnoke! I don't know very much about the physics affecting droplet size, but I agree that surface tension is likely an important variable. I would expect decreasing surface tension to reduce the droplet size. Surfactants (such as soap or detergents) decrease water's surface tension, so I would try adding some of these to the water. Keep me posted on if that works or not!

Tnx for your response, ZacharyM.
I'll definitely test it, once I get hold of a new vaporizer (broke my old one :)).
The strange thing however, is that most manuals state that soap will indeed change the surface tension, stopping the vapor production as a result.
e.g. http://amasci.com/amateur/clouds.html :
"If you use soap to wash down the humidifier parts, rinse it very well afterwards. A small amount of soap in the water will change the surface tension and inhibit the mist production. If your device mysteriously stops making mist, try cleaning out the humidifier's water-pool section with non-soapy paper towels. As an experiment, drip some liquid soap into the operating humidifier to see what happens."

What is an ultrasonic humidifier?

An ultrasonic humidifier is a type of humidifier that uses high frequency vibrations to create water droplets. These vibrations break apart the water molecules, creating a fine mist that is then dispersed into the air to increase humidity levels.

How does an ultrasonic humidifier create smaller droplets?

Ultrasonic humidifiers use a small metal diaphragm that vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency. This vibration causes the water to break apart into smaller droplets, which are then released into the air through a small opening or misting chamber in the humidifier.

What are the benefits of smaller droplets in an ultrasonic humidifier?

Smaller droplets created by ultrasonic humidifiers have a larger surface area compared to larger droplets, allowing them to evaporate more easily and quickly. This results in more efficient and consistent humidification of the air.

Are there any disadvantages to using an ultrasonic humidifier?

One potential disadvantage of ultrasonic humidifiers is the production of white mineral dust. This dust is caused by the minerals in the water being released into the air along with the water droplets. However, this can be avoided by using distilled or demineralized water in the humidifier.

What precautions should be taken when using an ultrasonic humidifier?

It is important to regularly clean and maintain ultrasonic humidifiers to prevent the buildup of bacteria and mold. Using distilled or demineralized water can also help reduce the risk of white mineral dust. Additionally, it is recommended to keep the humidifier out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion of the mist.