Snell's Law and the particle model for light

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where the angle of incidence and refraction were measured. The calculated value of 1.22 was obtained for all sets of data, leading to a question about whether this supports a particle model for light. The concept of Snell's law and the refractive index is also mentioned, with a suggestion that the evidence for a particle model of light lies in the photoelectric effect.
omgwtfitsp
So I did a "waves in two depth medium refraction" lab and I measured the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction.

So doing the sin i/ sin R, I get the value of 1.22 for all the sets of data.

A question asks, do the values (1.22) serve as evidence for or against a particle model for light?

I'm new to this physics thing, and it definitely isn't my strong subject. So I'm wondering if someone can explain in their own words what Snell's law is about and what that value (1.22) means, in my context. Maybe then I can attempt to answer my question.

Science news on Phys.org
Snells law describes how a light ray refracts through a boundary between media with differing refractive indices. It cannot distinguish between wave and particle theories of light.

Claude.

The value you get is = velocity of light in a vacuum / velocity of light in medium, called refractive index.

Anyway, I think the evidence for particle model of light is in the photoelectric effect.

Related to Snell's Law and the particle model for light

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a principle that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and angle of refraction for light passing through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant for a given pair of mediums.

How does Snell's Law relate to the particle model for light?

Snell's Law is one of the fundamental principles of the particle model for light. It explains how light behaves as a stream of particles, or photons, as it passes through different mediums. The change in direction of light as it enters a new medium is due to the interactions between the photons and the particles in the medium.

What is the difference between the particle model and the wave model for light?

The particle model for light describes light as a stream of particles, while the wave model describes light as a wave. In the particle model, light travels in straight lines and can be absorbed or reflected by matter. In the wave model, light exhibits properties such as diffraction and interference.

What factors affect the refraction of light?

The refraction of light is affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the mediums, and the wavelength of the light. The angle of incidence determines the direction of the light as it enters a new medium, while the refractive index describes how much the speed of light changes in that medium. The wavelength of light determines how much the light bends as it enters the new medium.

How is Snell's Law used in practical applications?

Snell's Law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for cameras and eyeglasses. It is also used in the field of optics to calculate the path of light through different mediums, which is important in the development of technologies such as fiber optics and laser technology.