Snowboard jumping, hint/push in right direction

• Thread starter Daniiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, snowboard jumping is a winter sport where a rider launches off a jump on a snowboard to perform tricks and maneuvers in the air before landing on a slope or ramp. To perform a jump, a rider needs speed and momentum, crouches down, and uses their legs to push off the ramp. A hint is a subtle adjustment, while a push is a more forceful movement used to generate speed. The direction of the jump is crucial, and riders should take safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and having proper training, to prevent injuries.
Daniiel

Homework Statement

A snowboarder knows to jump before reaching a downward slope.
The launch speed of the jump is 38km/h and launch angle 9 degrees.
The initial course is smooth and flat and the steeper track has a declining slope of 11.3degrees.

a..
If the snowboarder jumps before reaching the slope he lands on the top portion of the steeper track.
In the landing find the angle between the snowboarders path and the slope.
b..
If the snowboarder jumps at the edge of the steeper track, how far below the launch level will he land and at what angle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I am completely stumped on how to do this
I've tried making vectors to describe the magnitude of the jump for part B by converting the velocity to m/s then using gravity as the downward force but they never end up making any sense.
I don't really understand what the question means in part A "the angle between his path and the slope".
I remember there being velocity formulas which involved angles but i can't find them in this textbook.

Would i be able to have a hint on how i can solve a and b?
The formulas or first step or anything?
The hardest part for me is getting started
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your helpHi there,

For part A, you will need to use trigonometry to find the angle between the snowboarder's path and the slope. This can be done by drawing a diagram and labeling the relevant angles and sides. From there, you can use the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent) to find the angle.

For part B, you can use the kinematic equations to solve for the distance and angle at which the snowboarder will land. You will need to use the launch speed and angle, as well as the acceleration due to gravity, to find the final velocity and position of the snowboarder.

I would suggest reviewing your trigonometry and kinematics concepts, and then try to apply them to this problem. Remember to draw a diagram and label all the relevant information before starting to solve. Good luck!

Related to Snowboard jumping, hint/push in right direction

1. What is snowboard jumping?

Snowboard jumping is a winter sport where a snowboarder rides down a long ramp and launches off a jump to perform aerial tricks and maneuvers in the air before landing on a slope or ramp.

2. How do you perform a snowboard jump?

To perform a snowboard jump, a rider must first approach the jump with enough speed and momentum. As they reach the lip of the jump, they need to crouch down and use their legs to push off the ramp. This will launch them into the air where they can perform tricks and then land on the slope or ramp.

3. What is the difference between a hint and a push in snowboard jumping?

In snowboard jumping, a hint refers to a subtle adjustment or movement made by the rider to improve their technique or balance before or during the jump. A push, on the other hand, is a more forceful movement typically used to generate more speed or power for the jump.

4. How important is the right direction in snowboard jumping?

The right direction is crucial in snowboard jumping. The direction and angle at which the rider approaches the jump can greatly affect their speed, trajectory, and landing. It is important for riders to practice and familiarize themselves with the jump and its direction to achieve the best results.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when snowboard jumping?

Yes, safety precautions are essential in snowboard jumping to prevent injuries. Riders should always wear appropriate protective gear, such as a helmet and padding, and make sure the jump is safe and well-maintained. It is also important to have proper training and experience before attempting more challenging jumps.