So what is your favourite theory for the beginning of the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses different theories about the beginning of the universe and the importance of using precise terminology in science. The cyclic model, Big Bang theory, and Steady State theory are mentioned, along with the fact that there is currently no way to test certain hypotheses about the creation of the universe. The conversation also mentions the potential dangers of subjective science and the importance of objective thinking in scientific discussions.
11jdodds
Personally I like Cyclic model, what do you think is the most interesting, and which do you think is the most likely.Title is meant to say universe

As phinds has said the 'creation' of the universe is the wrong word, therefore I would like to replace it with the word 'beginning'

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
11jdodds said:
Personally I like Cyclic model, what do you think is the most interesting, and which do you think is the most likely.Title is meant to say universe
As far as I'm aware, the cyclic model says nothing about the CREATION of the universe, so you've given an invalid answer to your own question. That's the problem with turtles all the way down.

phinds said:
As far as I'm aware, the cyclic model says nothing about the CREATION of the universe, so you've given an invalid answer to your own question. That's the problem with turtles all the way down.
Cheers mate, however I am sure you know what I mean (do you not).
Also how would you word the question?

11jdodds said:
Cheers mate, however I am sure you know what I mean (do you not).
Also how would you word the question?
Proper formulation of questions is very important in science. Sloppy terminology evolves from and/or leads to sloppy thinking and wrong answers (or answers that are not to the question you thought you were asking). I KNOW this sounds pedantic as hell, but it has been demonstrated on this forum over and over again.

I would state the question as "the currently accepted theory of cosmology is the Big Bang Theory but it is silent on the question of what was going on / what happened at t=0 (the "singularity"). What do you think was going on / happened?"

Thank
phinds said:
Proper formulation of questions is very important in science. Sloppy terminology evolves from and/or leads to sloppy thinking and wrong answers (or answers that are not to the question you thought you were asking). I KNOW this sounds pedantic as hell, but it has been demonstrated on this forum over and over again.

I would state the question as "the currently accepted theory of cosmology is the Big Bang Theory but it is silent on the question of what was going on / what happened at t=0 (the "singularity"). What do you think was going on / happened?"
Thanks

In science we do not vote.

Likes nikkkom, jim mcnamara and ChrisVer
11jdodds said:
As phinds has said the 'creation' of the universe is the wrong word, therefore I would like to replace it with the word 'beginning'
In what way do you see "beginning" as being different than "creation"? I am NOT trying to be hard to get along with here, I am trying to help you understand that your question is actually vague.

You would be better off asking people which model they prefer, the Big Bang, the Steady State, Cyclic, and so forth. The BB is silent on the subject of a creation/beginning, the Steady State is thoroughly discredited, and the Cyclic has zero empirical evidence and in any case is also silent on the creation/beginning since it just uses the nifty copout of "eternal". I think there are probably others which also have zero empirical evidence but some supporters

Uh, I just realized this thread is in the intro section. This kind of thread does NOT belong in the intro section. I have reported it and suggested that it be moved.

Vanadium 50 said:
In science we do not vote.

We test a hypothesis. No testable hypothesis means nobody currently knows. I could posit something stupid: 'Before the universe came to be, there was a giant walrus. She gave birth to the Universe'. Aside from being ridiculous, there is no known way to test that statement. If indeed 'before' existed. So therefore the scientific answer is: nobody currently knows.

[rant]
Too many folks think that they can have any view they want about Science, and that because they think it, it is true. Or at least worthy of consideration. This problem of subjective science (as opposed to objective science) runs from major political figures who potentially make serious life-altering decisions, to the guy living on the park bench down the street.
[/rant]

jim mcnamara said:
there is no known way to test that statement
I will give it a try. Where is that walrus now ?

Closed for moderation.

What is the Big Bang Theory and why is it popular?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific theory that explains the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a single, extremely dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is popular because it is supported by a vast amount of scientific evidence, including the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the redshift of distant galaxies.

What is the Steady State Theory and why is it controversial?

The Steady State Theory is a now-discredited theory that suggests the universe has always existed in a steady state, with no beginning or end. This theory is controversial because it goes against the widely accepted Big Bang Theory and is not supported by observational evidence. Additionally, the Steady State Theory was popularized by a small group of scientists and was not widely accepted by the scientific community.

What is the Multiverse Theory and how does it relate to the beginning of the universe?

The Multiverse Theory suggests that there are multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. Some versions of this theory propose that our universe is just one of many, and that the Big Bang was not the beginning of everything, but rather the result of a collision between two universes. This theory is still highly debated and has not yet been proven.

What is the role of dark energy and dark matter in the beginning of the universe?

Dark energy and dark matter are two mysterious components that make up the majority of the universe. While their exact nature is still unknown, they are believed to play a crucial role in the expansion of the universe and the formation of galaxies. Some theories suggest that dark energy may have been responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe after the Big Bang, while dark matter may have helped to clump matter together and form the structures we see today.

How does the concept of time play a role in the beginning of the universe?

The concept of time is closely linked to the beginning of the universe, as it is thought to have begun with the Big Bang. However, the exact nature of time at the point of the Big Bang is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that time may have existed before the Big Bang, while others propose that time itself may have been created along with the universe. Additionally, the concept of time is affected by the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be experienced differently depending on one's position and speed in the universe.