Sodium Hydroxide + Iron Oxide: Green Tint Explained?

In summary: I don't think that's what it is. (Or rather, that's not what the son who is taking AP chemistry thinks it is, nor what the title says it is)
BWV
Was spraying oven cleaner on a somewhat rusted grill and my son, who is taking AP chemistry, asked about the green color that appeared. googled sodium hydroxide + iron oxide and got this

FeO + 4NaOH = Na₄FeO₃+ 2H₂O

but can't find any info on Na₄FeO₃ - would this have a green tint, and is there an explanation?

Likes AlexCaledin
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It looks like that has Fe++, which tends to be greenish.

Likes BWV
Fe(II) compounds in the presence of atmospheric oxygen are in most cases unstable and get oxidized to Fe(III) which is not green. My bet would go on copper or chromium - was any part of the grill plated?

Likes BWV
Borek said:
Fe(II) compounds in the presence of atmospheric oxygen are in most cases unstable and get oxidized to Fe(III) which is not green.

But there are stable mixtures of both oxidation states (e.g. Fe3O4). There is even a green rust mineral: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fougèrite.

Likes BWV
DrStupid said:
But there are stable mixtures of both oxidation states (e.g. Fe3O4).

Black.

There is even a green rust mineral: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fougèrite.

Somehow I don't expect it on the rusted grill :wink:

It is not like there are no green Fe(II) compounds, sure they exist. But - apart from some specific cases, like Mohr's salt - they are not stable in the presence of oxygen, and chances of finding them on a random, rusted iron surface are next to zero.

Likes BWV
Borek said:
they are not stable in the presence of oxygen, and chances of finding them on a random, rusted iron surface are next to zero.

Immediately after gook has been sprayed on them? It's not like they have had years of exposure to oxygen. More like minutes.

Likes BWV
Thanks for the responses - the material looks to be just plain flat-rolled steel. Wonder if there may be a reaction with the carbon?

There are other chemicals beside NaOH in Easy Off

https://www.wired.com/2008/05/st-easyoff/

Last edited:
Borek said:
Somehow I don't expect it on the rusted grill

It was just an example for a green stable Fe(II/III) compound.

Borek said:
they are not stable in the presence of oxygen

But they usually don't instantly turn into Fe(III) compounds when exposed to air.

How green are we talking here?

BWV said:
FeO + 4NaOH = Na₄FeO₃+ 2H₂O
Rust isn't FeO. It's a mix of almost exclusively iron(III) compounds.

Keith_McClary said:
NaOH is not really a reducing agent, and I seriously doubt this reaction is occurring in any appreciable amount. Also, the author of that site references no sources and looks like he might be 15 years old.

I think @Borek is on the right track if you have a vivid green material. However, if it's more of a dull greenish beige, it could easily be some sort of hydrated rust compound (still probably iron(III), though):
Picture of hydrated iron(III) oxide

Likes BWV
TeethWhitener said:
How green are we talking here?Rust isn't FeO. It's a mix of almost exclusively iron(III) compounds.NaOH is not really a reducing agent, and I seriously doubt this reaction is occurring in any appreciable amount. Also, the author of that site references no sources and looks like he might be 15 years old.

I think @Borek is on the right track if you have a vivid green material. However, if it's more of a dull greenish beige, it could easily be some sort of hydrated rust compound (still probably iron(III), though):
Picture of hydrated iron(III) oxide

The shade was a little darker than a copper patina, looked almost like mold - dull greenish beige would be a good description

Vanadium 50 said:
Immediately after gook has been sprayed on them? It's not like they have had years of exposure to oxygen. More like minutes.

Yes, immediately. In my experience iron that corrodes on air gets directly to red, I have never seen it getting through a green phase (nor heard about such a situation).

DrStupid said:
But they usually don't instantly turn into Fe(III) compounds when exposed to air.

Yes, dry salts (especially if stored in controlled conditions) are a bit more stable, but we are taking about a highly alkaline solution, not a dry solid. Pourbaix diagram for such systems says that around 0.4 V (which is more or less what I would expect here) and at high pH the only stable form is Fe2O3/Fe(OH)3.

In general Fe(II) salts are unstable and can't be used as Fe(II) source in analytical chemistry. Only Mohr's salt is stable enough to be considered a primary substance, in all other salts enough Fe(II) is oxidized to Fe(III) to make them unreliable.

Borek said:
Yes, immediately. In my experience iron that corrodes on air

I don't think that's what it is. (Or rather, that's not what the son who is taking AP chemistry thinks it is, nor what the title says it is) The title chemical has Fe(2+) in it. That is, it's not corroded iron, but it's an iron reaction product.

Borek said:
In my experience iron that corrodes on air gets directly to red, I have never seen it getting through a green phase (nor heard about such a situation).

Yes rust is red, but no it is not only Fe(III).

Borek said:
Pourbaix diagram for such systems says that around 0.4 V (which is more or less what I would expect here) and at high pH the only stable form is Fe2O3/Fe(OH)3.

That doesn't mean Fe(II) turns into Fe(III) immediately. It just means that the conversion starts spontaneously.

Likes BWV
But if it were a nickel coated steel grate... and most are, it could easily be Ni+2.

Likes BWV and Borek
Nickel could be one explanation - EasyOff contains ethanolamines that could produce complexed nickel species, and those tend to be intensely blue or green.
The grill presumably featured quite a bit of carbon, as well as rust. (That's why the O.P. was using a char remover, not a rust remover.) Pyrolysis of Fe(III) oxides with carbon will reduce the iron - that's how we make steel - so it's not unreasonable to expect some Fe(II) in the mix.

Likes BWV

1. What is the chemical reaction between sodium hydroxide and iron oxide?

When sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is mixed with iron oxide (FeO), a chemical reaction occurs that produces sodium oxide (Na2O) and iron hydroxide (Fe(OH)2). This reaction is known as a double displacement reaction.

2. Why does the mixture of sodium hydroxide and iron oxide have a green tint?

The green tint is caused by the formation of iron hydroxide, which has a green color. This compound is formed when the iron oxide reacts with the sodium hydroxide, giving the mixture its green hue.

3. Is the reaction between sodium hydroxide and iron oxide exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between sodium hydroxide and iron oxide is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat. This is because the reaction produces a new compound with a lower energy state than the reactants.

4. What are the uses of sodium hydroxide and iron oxide in this reaction?

Sodium hydroxide is a strong base and is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as soap and paper production. Iron oxide, on the other hand, is a common pigment used in paints and dyes. In this reaction, the two substances combine to produce a green-tinted compound, which can be used as a pigment in various applications.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with sodium hydroxide and iron oxide?

Both sodium hydroxide and iron oxide can be hazardous substances if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with these chemicals. In addition, proper ventilation should be ensured to avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also important to follow proper disposal methods for any leftover materials.