Software engineer turned physicist

In summary: There are also many online resources that are available for free. Try searching for "online physics courses" or "online physics resources." Additionally, many universities and colleges have websites that list their course offerings and what prerequisites are needed.
Chromium
hey everyone,

ok, so right now I just finished my 2nd year of university. I'm studying to be a software engineer at the moment. When I first started my studies, I hated physics because I had a terrible physics teacher in high school. Taking his class led me to believe that I was not nearly smart enough to ever study physics. However, the concepts in physics (especially things like black holes, string theory, etc.) have always fascinated me. Now, after my first two years, I've gained more confidence in my abilities and intelligence, and I believe I have the ability to actually study it. So my questions are:

1) As a 20-year-old software engineering student, is it still possible for me to become a physicist?
2) Would having formal training in software engineering give me an advantage over those who only studied physics?
3) I already have a full schedule for the upcoming fall term, are there any free online resources where I could study physics on my own?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Chromium wonders:
1) As a 20-year-old software engineering student, is it still possible for me to become a physicist?
2) Would having formal training in software engineering give me an advantage over those who only studied physics?
3) I already have a full schedule for the upcoming fall term, are there any free online resources where I could study physics on my own?

1. 20 years of age is still very young. You have time to change major fields.

2. Courses you have studied so far may or may not become an advantage for you; having studied them and gained some skills from them at least eliminates disadvantages of being deficient in programming, critical thinking, and some other technical skills. In fact, what you have done could become a very strong advantage.

3. For other members to answer.

Chromium said:

thanks

1) 20 is plenty young to switch

2) If you have some C it could come in handy. Besides that, not a lot. It all depends on what you study.

3) Not any good ones that I know of. How about the library? Physics texts really haven't changed much in a long time; they should have some old copies around that could help you prepare. Semi off-topic, but while in grad school the phys department had a little library of old textbooks. I found one from the 1890's. Glancing through it, the curriculum for intro physics hasn't really changed much since (though newer texts do a better job).

By the way, as I usually point out, liking black holes and string theory doesn't have much to do with actually liking doing physics. Spend some time with some grad students and make sure you actually like the kinds of things they do.

Regarding #3:

MIT maintains a website called OpenCourseWare ( http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm ) that contains all the resources for their classes. Pick up where your physics training has left off (I assume you have taken the 2 standard intro semesters of Physics) or start from the beginning.

Related to Software engineer turned physicist

What is a software engineer turned physicist?

A software engineer turned physicist is someone who previously worked in the field of software engineering and has made a career change to become a physicist. This person has likely undergone additional education and training to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the field of physics.

Why would a software engineer become a physicist?

There are a variety of reasons why a software engineer may choose to become a physicist. Some may have a strong interest in physics and decide to pursue it as a new career path. Others may have found that their skills in software engineering can be applied to the field of physics, such as in data analysis or simulation. Some may also be drawn to the potential for groundbreaking scientific discoveries in the field of physics.

What skills do software engineers bring to physics?

Software engineers bring a variety of valuable skills to the field of physics. These may include proficiency in programming languages, data analysis, and problem-solving. They may also have experience with complex systems and simulations, which can be useful in the study of physics.

What challenges do software engineers face when transitioning to physics?

One of the main challenges for software engineers transitioning to physics is gaining a solid understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of physics. They may also need to become familiar with new tools and techniques used in the field. Additionally, they may face challenges in adjusting to the different pace and workflow of scientific research.

What career opportunities are available for software engineers turned physicists?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for software engineers turned physicists. They may work in research and development, either in industry or academia. They may also work in fields such as data science, computational physics, or scientific software development. Additionally, they may contribute to advancements in technology and innovation through their knowledge and skills in both software engineering and physics.