Software/hardware for signal recording?

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary: He mentions using a VSA from Agilent, but is unsure if it can record with the bandwidths he needs. He also mentions wanting software that can record, decode, and create DTMF signals. Warren suggests looking for DTMF tone generators online and mentions the possibility of using hardware to duplicate the page signal instead of recording it. Russ explains that he needs recording and playback capability for his specific application. He later updates that he is using Adobe Audition for this purpose. In summary, Russ is looking for a way to record and play back a page signal from a cordless phone, as well as software for
Firefox123
Im trying to record about 1 second of a page signal from a cordless phone (later I might need to do this to the DTMF tones as well) so I can play it back and send it to a signal generator.

I am using a VSA from Agilent, but I am not sure if it can record a full second with the bandwidths I am using.

My span is about 50 kHz and I have a resolution bandwidth of 1kHz (I may change this to 10 or 30 kHz though)...

If anyone knows some good hardware/software for recording and playing back signals please let me know...

And some software that can record, decode, and create DTMF signals would be a nice bonus as well.

If anyone has any info Id really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about recording the sound the cordless phone makes when it's paged?

The web should be absolutely littered with DTMF tone generators. You can probably write one with ten lines of a language like Python.

- Warren

chroot said:
Are you talking about recording the sound the cordless phone makes when it's paged?

Im talking about recording the paging signal itself...in its FM format as transmitted.

chroot said:
The web should be absolutely littered with DTMF tone generators. You can probably write one with ten lines of a language like Python.

- Warren

Sure they are out there...but it never hurts to ask.

Well, I suppose you'd need a radio receiver and oscilloscope to "record" the radio signal itself.

Why don't you just duplicate the hardware the cordless phone base station uses to generate the page signal? That'd probably be much easier than trying to "record" and "play back" the RF signal.

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, I suppose you'd need a radio receiver and oscilloscope to "record" the radio signal itself.

Thats the basic idea...you can use a spectrum analyzer as a basic receiver (to demodulate the signal and strip the carrier off) and then record with an oscilloscope...but the scope I currently have can't really do a recording like I need it to...

chroot said:
Why don't you just duplicate the hardware the cordless phone base station uses to generate the page signal? That'd probably be much easier than trying to "record" and "play back" the RF signal.

That could be done, but the application I am using it for would be better served with recording and playback capability. Id explain, but unforutnately I really can't give any specifics.

Thanks for all the replies...

I decided to use Adobe Audition and it is working out pretty good.

Russ

Related to Software/hardware for signal recording?

1. What is the difference between software and hardware for signal recording?

Software for signal recording refers to computer programs that are used to record and analyze signals, while hardware refers to physical devices that are used to capture and store signals. Software is typically more versatile and can be used on different devices, while hardware is often more specialized and may have specific features for signal recording.

2. What are some examples of software and hardware for signal recording?

Examples of software for signal recording include Audacity, Adobe Audition, and Pro Tools. Examples of hardware for signal recording include microphones, audio interfaces, and digital recorders.

3. How do I choose the right software or hardware for my needs?

The best way to choose the right software or hardware for signal recording is to consider your specific needs and budget. Decide what type of signals you will be recording, the quality and features you require, and how much you are willing to spend. You may also want to read reviews and consult with experts for recommendations.

4. Do I need both software and hardware for signal recording?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some people prefer to use only software for signal recording, while others prefer to use a combination of software and hardware. It's important to consider the features and capabilities of each option to determine what will work best for you.

5. Can I use software and hardware for signal recording for professional purposes?

Yes, software and hardware for signal recording can be used for professional purposes. However, it's important to choose high-quality and reliable options that meet your specific needs. It's also important to properly calibrate and maintain your equipment to ensure accurate and professional results.