Solar Cell Problem(semiconductor)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the fill factor (FF) using given variables and equations, including Voc, Isc, Lp, and FF=Pma/(Isc*Voc). There is confusion about determining the fill factor without knowing the value of Pmax, and the individual asks for clarification on the definition of Pmax.
DragonChase29

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31.png

Homework Equations

• Voc=kt/q x ln(tpXGlXNd/(ni)2)
  • Isc=A x q x Lp x Gl
  • Lp=√(Dp×tp)
  • FF=Pma/(Isc*Voc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Voc=.298 V and Isc=3.04 mA
I]However, I am confused as to how to find the fill factor. I know it is the maximum voltage and current the load can take, but how do I determine this with the information given?
I thought it might have something to do with the diode current equation
  • I=I0(eqV/kT-1)
Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31.png
    upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 747
Physics news on Phys.org
DragonChase29 said:

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31-png.png
1) The variables above are given values but they are not defined as to what they are. Please do so.

DragonChase29 said:
FF=Pma/(Isc*Voc)
2) There is an undefined variable in 'FF=...'. When it is defined you may be able to assign it a value.

p.s. As I am not familiar with that form of FF definition, I don't know the answer; but when you "get all your ducks in a row" it may become obvious.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31-png.png
    upload_2017-10-23_20-38-31-png.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 323
Tom.G said:
1) The variables above are given values but they are not defined as to what they are. Please do so.2) There is an undefined variable in 'FF=...'. When it is defined you may be able to assign it a value.

p.s. As I am not familiar with that form of FF definition, I don't know the answer; but when you "get all your ducks in a row" it may become obvious.
First, thanks for the reply. This is a basic plug in chug problem to find V open circuit and I short circuit. I just sont understand how to find the fill factor with this information brcause you need to find the Pmax. How do i find Pmax is my concern.

Since I'm not familiar with that form of FF, you will have to clarify Pmax for me. The answer depends on the Pmax definition. (to answer a question, first define the question.)
Is it:
  • the maximum power available to a load?
  • the maximum power the photocell generates internally?
  • something else?

1. What is a solar cell?

A solar cell, also known as a photovoltaic cell, is a device that converts light energy into electrical energy. It is made of semiconductor materials, usually silicon, and is used to generate electricity from sunlight.

2. What is the main problem with solar cells?

The main problem with solar cells is that they have a relatively low efficiency in converting sunlight into electricity. This means that a large amount of sunlight is needed to generate a significant amount of electricity.

3. How do solar cells work?

Solar cells work by utilizing the photovoltaic effect, which is the ability of certain materials to convert light energy into electrical energy. When sunlight hits the semiconductor material, it causes electrons to be released, creating an electrical current.

4. What are some ways to improve the efficiency of solar cells?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of solar cells, such as using multiple layers of different semiconductor materials, increasing the surface area of the cell, and incorporating reflective coatings to capture more sunlight.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with solar cells?

Solar cells themselves do not pose any significant environmental concerns as they do not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases. However, the production of solar cells and their disposal can have an impact on the environment if not done properly. To mitigate this, it is important to use sustainable and responsible practices in the production and disposal of solar cells.